Duke of Edinburgh Award

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suzanne

Duke of Edinburgh Award

Post by suzanne »

Hi

Does anyone have any views on the D of E award?

Is it enjoyable? Is it a big time commitment? Do potential employers value the award?

It seems many children start the bronze award but few achieve the gold award.

Any views gratefully received - thank you!
bromley mum

Re: Duke of Edinburgh Award

Post by bromley mum »

It is hard work and needs commitment and hard work. As you say, many do bronze so that doesn't count for too much. Gold, on the other hand does. Are you going to use it for uni applications? If you think you won't do gold then I think there is no point in doing bronze. Not everyone does DofE, so you won't be disadvantaged by not doing it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Re; uni applications and DoE - I think lots of people spend a fair bit of time doing extra curric stuff to put on the personal statement - but it appears that many of the unis don't want more than a line or 2 (of the 47 lines or something like that) to be about extra curric stuff.

Upshot - do it only if you enjoy it!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my opinion too many people do D of E to make it remarkable.

Do some extra curricular stuff that you want to to and also activities that help OTHER people.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My eldest is doing his Bronze award at the moment. He loves it but he has been in scouting since age 6 and loves to spend his weekend hiking 10 miles before pitching a tent and cremating some sausages over a fire!

So I agree hermanmunster, if you think your DC will enjoy then go for it - if not there are other options to look good on a CV.

I recently shortlisted new graduates, and 1 did make it to interview because of Gold DofE, but others were chosen for a variety of reasons such as cycling for charity, volunteering at a local hospice and being a brownie leader!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Agree with only do it if it is likely to be enjoyed for what it offers. I don't think anything should be done for the sole reason of adding to uni applications. I do know plenty of parents who encourage their children to do things because 'it will look good on their uni application form'.

My own D of E experience:

DD, heading off on French exchange, "Mum will you complete and hand in my D of E form?"
I dutifully did.
DD after first D of E meeting, "Mum you never told me I had to hike and camp!"

Well duh, everyone knows that about D of E :lol: She had clearly done a lot of research before signing up :shock:

Needless to say she didn't continue with silver or gold, but she did take something from the experience and has continued volunteering with RDA, 4 full years so far and organised a further French exchange independently.