Parents Evenings-5 Mins What do you ask? What should you?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rob Clark

Re: Parents Evenings-5 Mins What do you ask? What should you

Post by Rob Clark »

On the subject of taking notes, a girl DD used to play tennis against had a father who annotated every point of every match she played, then straight after she came off court he would de-brief her saying things like 'on the third point of the second game you hit a forehand cross court when you should have gone down the line'...

She doesn't play any more :wink:
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

KS10 wrote:I know what I didn't ask even though I was dying to know the answer. The music results were far better than the drama results last year. We wanted to know if it was the quality of the student or the quality of the teaching but it just seemed to be a step too far. Plus the drama teacher seemed so genuine with none of the bs that you occasionally get.
I asked that question on the sixth form information evening about engineering. It's a perfectly valid question. I wouldn't have asked if they were lower just for one year though.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I am afraid that I am a bad parent. I generally let the teacher tell me how mine are doing and ask about their attitude and interaction in class as this is more important to me. The occasions that I have had concerns the teachers have explained the reasons behind them before I mention them. I think that we have had great teachers who can do this!
I also crane my neck to see how my dcs results compare with the class in general, if they are middle to top then I have no concerns, any lower and I have a conversation with dc when I get home in case support is needed. I don't like my dc to be there as I can't talk about them honestly if they are beside me, also sometimes you may hear something you are not expecting.
I don't take notes if I need to remember specifics then I will. Generally the teachers all say similar things about my dcs and we are usually finished in less than the allocated time.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I always used to wonder why when a DC in yr 4, its a level 3c-3a. Shouldn't it be in 4s. I always thought it was their results after a test because that's what they show you and that they were low in levels even when the teacher says they're where they should be :oops: . It was only in year 5 that I understood it a little bit. Then again had some doubts and G55 and the forum team came to the rescue. I think I know now. :) I usually listen and then thank them.
Last edited by ahap on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
qebmum

Post by qebmum »

In ds's school, the children were never invited. I used to go armed with his 'essential questions to ask' and was expected (by ds) to make copious notes to relay their comments on my return home! It would have been far easier if he could have gone too. With dd's school, the children are invited and I was interested that several of the teachers addressed her rather than me/dh. By the 4th teacher, she was ready for the "How do you think you're getting on?" question and had something appropriate in mind to say. No note taking necessary, phew! If you can see every teacher, it's worth doing, even if just to put the pe teacher's face to a name. I've never been turned away if I've spotted a gap and asked politely if a teacher can fit me in for a couple of minutes if dc hasn't managed to get an appointment beforehand.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

turtleglos wrote:
I also crane my neck to see how my dcs results compare with the class in general
I have become good at reading results upside down. :D

We have a very long surname, so it's always easy to see where my three children are on a list, and to read numbers around them!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I don't go anymore. :oops: Haven't been for about 4 years.
My DC'n regularly get/got feedback from teachers concerning their work - the good, bad and ugly!

If there's an issue I need to know about the school will contact me I'm sure (they never have done).
If I have had a query in the past then I'll phone and make an appointment or email as it's usually for things that need more than 5 mins in a packed school hall; Most things that have cropped up never coincide with a parents' evening anyway. I otherwise delight in their school reports at the end of year. Only a few times have they not made it into my hands. One DD did find a (July) end-of-term one still in her bag in early September when readying herself for the new school year! :roll:

I think this arrangement suits the teachers as much as me!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I'm going to ds's y7 one on Wednesday. He's been collecting appts for me, and got told today in Games that I have to see the PE staff! What on earth do I say to them?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think it's up to me which teachers I want to talk to. If you don't want to talk to them then don't.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I've been to nearly 50 school parents' evenings (should be over 50 :oops: ) Add on all the other 'information' evenings, concerts etc.
Wonder how many some of the teachers on here have notched up - both sides of the table!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now