ABRSM versus TRINITY- advise please

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

ABRSM versus TRINITY- advise please

Post by modernista »

My DD has just given her Grade 5 ABRSM (dont know the results yet, fingers crossed). Her music teacher wants her to give Grade 6 with Trinity. I trust her and moreover I dont have a clue but this may be quite significant and I feel I am going in to this blind. Anybody..?
Last edited by modernista on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Re: ABRSM versus TRINITY- advise please

Post by KS10 »

I'm so glad you asked this because we've been wondering about this for a while too. We've been advised the opposite though, to change to ABRSM for grade 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For ABRSM grade above 5 you need grade 5 theory or a pass in jazz on your instrument at grade 5.

I don't think Trinity have this stipulation but their aurals may reflect this!
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks Guest 55, what is a pass in jazz?. According to my daughter, if she switches to Trinity she will not be tested on scales (which she is pleased about). She said she will have to play more complicated orchestral pieces (which I hope her teacher is more confident about). I did not know about the difference in aurals though or the jazz bit. I suppose it is all about what your DD is comfortable and enjoys doing but unfortunately I cant judge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://gb.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/jazz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read the syllabuses on the exam board websites.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks for the link, G55, I will try and compare syllabuses of both boards but I am not sure I will be able to. Noted this from the prerequisites though

Prerequisites for Practical Grades 6, 7 and 8: candidates must already have passed one of the qualifications listed below. This must have been passed before the closing date .............etc
ABRSM: Grade 5 (or above) in Theory of Music, Practical Musicianship or a solo Jazz subject
Trinity Guildhall, London College of Music, Australian Music Examination Board, University of South Africa: Grade 5 (or above) in Theory

As there is no Jazz exam for oboe and presumably DD is not ready for Practical Musicianship or Theory of Music, I suppose Trinity Grade 6 is a quicker options. I cant see the point of rushing through the grades for the sake of it. Should I mention this to DDs teacher?
solimum

Post by solimum »

In my experience instrumental teachers (other than piano) don't expect to teach their pupils theory, and for pupils who aren't learning it elsewhere it does restrict the post-Grade 5 options. Piano teachers are more likely to integrate theory "practice papers" and work books alongside regular practice from the start. If she wants to pursue music at a higher level (such as A level and/or up to grade 8 )it is definitely worth starting to get to grips with the basics - there are workbooks that plough through the theory grades although most people only ever take the Grade 5 exam. Perhaps there is a local piano teacher who could help out occasionally. But if she is happy with the choice of pieces for G6 anyway then stick with the teacher's recommendation at this stage and make learning theory a longer-term goal. In our area the local peripatetic music service used to run Saturday morning theory sessions as a back-up to the instrumenal lesson service.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Quite a few switch to Trinity at Grade 5 if they do not have Theory, and of course scales is another reason. There are still technical skills though. :lol:
It is considered easier by some. You might notice too, if you look carefully, that some pieces are a grade lower for Trinity than for ABRSM.

It doesn't really matter which she does, however, if your DD is planning on taking music A level then she really needs to get to grips with Theory regardless of which board she uses for performance.
Hope she gets the result she wants. :)
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thank you everybody, you seem to know a lot and I feel quite inadequate and helpless to guide her. She has just started Piano lessons in April, enjoys playing a lot and we have had a glowing report for the end of year music report. I was hoping she might be able to do a music GCSE, maybe I should talk to her teacher about the theory options. Will the school do this at their pace?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote:You might notice too, if you look carefully, that some pieces are a grade lower for Trinity than for ABRSM.
Losing it... sorry. :oops:

What I meant was that I've seen the same piece as Grade 6 ABRSM but as Grade 7 for Trinity etc.

Does your school offer Theory? Mostly students have to seek lessons privately, or you could try through your county group.

She'll be fine for GCSE.
A level is very different though but it seems she has plenty of time on her side should she choose that subject in sixth form. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now