Charity Projects Overseas and at Home

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Charity Projects Overseas and at Home

Post by Amber »

Does anyone have any experience of children working on charity projects, either as part of a gap year or more long-term? There seem to be a million companies out there offering to 'assist' young people, largely it seems by taking money off their parents. DD has experience of, and contact with, an excellent one in Romania already, but is thinking of something else. It looks like a minefield so I would like to hear of any experiences, good or bad, if anyone has any. Thanks
mystery

Re: Charity Projects Overseas and at Home

Post by mystery »

What age? I know someone who did voluntary work at the forever angels baby home in Tanzania. I think you would need to be 18, but it could be worth e-mailing them. Google it.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know people who have done a lot of (medics & nursing based) voluntary work in Africa but I think it was through the church so may not be your thing (or mine :)). Can find out details though if you like.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks both. Yes please scary - you know where to find me. :D
'Forever angels' sounds a bit creepy to me but I shall pass on the information to my interested relative. :wink:

Still interested if anyone else has experience, please - there are a lot of agencies offering to broker work, has anyone heard anything about them?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, it does sound creepy, but I think it is a fantastic place by the sounds of it, and the website will give you a very good feel for it. I don't think any intermediary bodies would be needed. I think they charge for your living expenses but these are negligible. Volunteers get proper responsible work there from all I have gathered. I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to be accepted.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

My eldest DD found voluntary work in penguin conservation in South Africa with http://www.aviva-sa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (nothing to do with Aviva insurance!) As well as wildlife and marine conservation, they recruit for a variety of projects working in children's homes and schools. A bit pricey at the time, though DD reckoned it was one of the best experiences of her life and she made some great friends and useful professional contacts for the future. Of course you could presumably also contact the various projects directly, but it's useful to have an agency on hand to help with accommodation and any problems that might arise, especially if it's a young person travelling a long way from home for the first time.
Last edited by Marylou on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marylou
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

It really depends what your relative wants to do and where exactly he or she wants to go. Yes forever angels sounds creepy but there are lots of desperate children in Tanzania. My daughter spend a month there in Tanzania working with street children. She was 12 at the time but my sister was doing voluntary work there so she was always with her when she was at the children's centers.

If the child is over 18 then it's worth looking at organisations like Tear Fund, Plan International etc as they sometimes have volunteer position overseas where all expenses are met. They may just ask them to raise £800 just to show a bit of commitment but they don't have to.
Impossible is Nothing.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Would this be of any use?

http://www.ewb-uk.org/programmes/placements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now