How are all the year 7s settling in - good and bad?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pof4

Re: How are all the year 7s settling in - good and bad?

Post by pof4 »

Hi,

I've just come across this thread and wanted to add that learning the language of mark schemes is very useful (for dc of all abilities), since they can be extremely picky with their choice of words - getting my dc used to using both topic specific and model answer vocab as early on as possible has helped. The odd mark here and there is often lost because of this, and it seems such a shame.

hth :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Last week, I was told at parents evening that my son was hardworking, polite and a pleasure to teach. However, somewhere between school and home, he crosses an imaginary line and turns into Kevin and Perry. This evening he had a right temper tantrum over some homework. He seems to have reached the teenage hormone stage a lot sooner than his older brother did, who, on the whole, is generally still a nice lad( although he does have his moments).
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It's ok, pc. DD is being 'difficult' too. Apparently 'other mothers do not force their 12-year old daughters to wear clothes that they (the daughters) never chose' and she wasn't going to leave the house. I smiled sweetly and told her that was fine by me as she'd effectively grounded herself :D.
Last edited by KS10 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

'Like'

Dh had similar rant with 'Perry' at the weekend regarding football shirts which dc wanted to wear out, but dh didn't want him too.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We just get the silent treatment and 'that' look. I have threatened to get her a hearing aid because she obviously doesn't hear a word I say.
Unless it's chocolate or Dr Who.

She still needs reminding EVERYDAY to put deodorant on.

Can't believe it's nearly the end of year 7 though.
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd still does no homework. I have emailed school several times and been told her work is fine. I don't know whether I am looking forward to her report.

At last today they have said they are going to check her planner. There is nothing written in it at all, but some beautiful colouring. :roll:

Lots of attitude. She is jealous of her siblings and most things are "not fair". I give up.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

My dd seems to have had a great year, in fact doesn't want it to end.

Homework not an issue as there really hasn't been much. (Thank goodness)

General attitude difference is eye rolling, some grunting, not wearing deodorant, not changing into second set of uniform for freshness mid week & spots, lots of spots.

Used to be very clean and generally looked after herself - not sure what's happened to her. Hoping all the above will improve soon :)
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

I just discovered this thread today, and it is so reassuring that OPs have had similar experiences to us, eg books getting wet, forgetting homework and countless other adventures yet to come! A sincere thanks to all of you for your contributions, I don't feel so alone now.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Yes I've been reading this thread since it began too, and now here we are as the new Yr 7s :lol: Hope the new Yr 8s have gone back happily.

During week 3 school was no longer "exciting"... Guess the novelty and excitement wore off pretty quickly! Thanks for all the useful stuff on this thread, don't have anything to add unfortunately (except for a Kendrick tip kindly passed on to us: wash the red jumpers _before_ the first wear! Otherwise the red fluff of doom will get on your lovely new white shirts :? )
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2, generally pretty organised so far, has managed to mislay a brand new pair of shin pads and to avoid a sanction has borrowed his sister's. This is all well and good, but a bit of a problem when she starts playing hockey again. Tonight, DH and I escaped from a 'do' at his school to have a surreptitious rummage through the lost property, an activity I often found the need to indulge in during DS1's time at the school :roll: .

Only to find that they have moved the lost property in the meantime :roll: :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now