How are all the year 7s settling in - good and bad?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: How are all the year 7s settling in - good and bad?

Post by Amber »

PROBSNAIVE wrote:Thank you for that Amber, I don't know how I missed some of those threads. They need to include some of that advice in the secondary transfer pack!
The depressing thing is the recurring nature of these themes. Predominantly, but not exclusively, girls, being mean to other girls. I think there ought to be compulsory courses for parents of girls to educate them in the manipulative, sneaky, generally unpleasant antics that so many of them get up to; and to encourage them to take responsibility for their daughters' behaviour. They start so young - by the time they get to secondary some of them are very adept at excluding others while also ingratiating themselves to teachers. Grr.

But hopefully this one is a bit more straightforward Probs, and your daughter will soon find a nice little group to belong to. :D
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

You are completely right Amber. My dd2 (of 4!) is in year 4 and has a 'popular' clique of girls in her class and they have been ruling the roost for the last couple of years. We had an incident where they were being horrible to my dd but because I know the teachers at primary so well, I felt confident in dealing with the issues directly. Dealing with secondary school issues feel alien to me! Hmm its not only the children who are overwhelmed by it all. Hopefully by dd4, I will have become an expert :!:
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

DD has decided to put herself forward for Form Rep and will be making a speech to her form tomorrow. Eeek! Lets hope she gets a few votes. :|
ginx

Post by ginx »

I don't believe it. Another disco on Friday. :roll:

We meet dd2's teacher for 5 minutes on Thursday evening, to find out if dd2's doing ok. If not, we'll hear all about it. She's so lazy about homework. I bet most girls spend hours going over their homework, doing extra work and so on ... she just doesn't. I'm not sure what I can do about it.

I'm half dreading this meeting on Thursday. Any ideas about what I should ask? Sometimes I go to these meetings and my mind just goes blank. I want to hear she's settling in happily and doing ok. I only ever expected "ok" so that will be fine. I know she's doing "well" at maths and art :roll: but don't know about anything else.

What should I ask?
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Phew, dd elected form rep! but now going for year captain :| She has found (what sounds like) a good group of friends simply by asking them if she could join them for lunch. Thankfully they said yes and now she has realised that there are other girls in her class who like reading and going to the library too or share other interests. :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

PROBSNAIVE, I wish my dd2 liked reading and going to the library. Her friends do; but she doesn't. Many of them go to a creative writing group at lunchtime as well.

I was rather surprised when dd2 said she'd go to a maths club if there was one because she finds maths "fun". How anyone finds maths "fun" is beyond me, and she probably only said that because there is no maths club. Presumably not many girls like maths? I'm surprised there isn't a maths club.

However, she is joining a small orchestra (she's too scared to join the main orchestra, convinced she's not good enough - she may be right).

I suggested she read her school books over half term, but she has refused so I'll leave it.

She's not seeing any "new" friends over half term as they seem to all be on holiday, or else don't want to see her. :roll: Thank goodness she is in touch with her "old" friends. At least she hasn't got to make a castle as they have to. :D

So glad the first half term is over and her work seems to be ok, she seems happy (but then tells me she wouldn't tell me if she was unhappy) and says she has friends. Even if she doesn't see any.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We've got an island to make. I think it's a 3d depiction of contour lines. I don't quite see the point. It's cost me a fortune in paints, PVC glue, paintbrushes etc ( my boys don't do craft).
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Aaagh - the dreaded island! I forgot about that! I wonder when that will have to be done. DS had to make an island (group work), a Torah scroll (individual) and something related to WW2. His group made an airfield. As you said, pc, all rather pricey.
KB

Post by KB »

The thing to remember with these projects is that if your DC aren't bothered then don't feel they have to make something wonderful! In the wider scheme of things they really don't matter.

Just figure out if there is a learning objective (eg getting a feel of what contours actually mean) and make sure they have grasped it.

Then leave them to decide how much time they want to put into the thing. If its their one bad make of the term, so what.
The teacher should not be marking it on how much parent has spent on materials.

WE end up feeling under pressure with these things - try not to!
Amber

Post by Amber »

The island seems to be a staple across the country. Surely there must be a market in second-hand islands on eBay?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now