Homework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Y

Post by Y »

Melx wrote:My sons school do give out detentions but not as much as my friends son who had about 5 within the first term of starting. This I haveto say is a young lad who is extremely well behaved and poilte and hard working but a little disorganised in that he forgot his PE kit a couple of times along with his homework.
Mel
A child who manages to get 5 detentions for forgetting PE kit and homework needs to be helped to find strategies to avoid doing this in the future. I should have thought that after the second detention, the school should be thinking, 'This isn't working; what can we do to help this child?'

Y
Melx

Post by Melx »

Y

Exactly!! You would also think the school would send a note home after, say the third to advise the parents. I know I would want to know if my son was constantly getting detentions and if a note was sent perhaps the child and the parents would take it seriously. My friend admits that she wasn't too worried as her son told her lots of kids had even more for similar 'wrong doings'

Mel
sj355

Post by sj355 »

In my son's school they are given a special diary in which all pupils are made to write the tasks that they have to do for each subject and when they are due in by. There is an obligation for the parent to check it and sign it. The form tutor checks that the pupil actually writes down all the homework that they have to do and also checks that the parents have read and signed the diary each week before he signs it at well. If the diary is not properly used then the parent is warned.
As I read the diary I tick on the jobs that he has so far done and ask about the status of the outstanding ones. At the end of each schoolday I always spend 5 minutes with my child to ensure that he has put in his bag all the books for each subject that he has the next day and help him organise his PE kit. This is a safe method that virtually eliminates the possibility of forgetting. One time that I read but forgot to sign the diary, my son kindly reminded me the very next day that his tutor has told him that I need to do so. So they are really checking!
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now