Out of school activities and new time pressures at GS

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: Out of school activities and new time pressures at GS

Post by Yamin151 »

I think thats fab, him being so confident about his choices. It bodes so well for him to be so happy in his own skin, rightly so. :D
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Okanagan wrote:I'm liking the idea of a Harry Potter club - visions of them practising spells and whizzing around on broomsticks :D
Exactly what i thought! Can i join too??
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Why is it that when we pass through leisure centres not many kids appear to be smiling at the endless activities they have to participate in. My ds does one per week and that's his lot. There is too much pressure to keep up with the jones's
copella

Post by copella »

Perhaps some parents like to keep up with the Jones but my boys are the ones who push for their out of school activities. When we suggest perhaps not they want more. Youngest DS is doing indoor cricket in the City of London which means he is out on Saturdays till 9 on the days he plays. He comes home happy and excited whilst were both exhausted. However I prefer that to them sitting watching the tv or computers everyday. They love their sport and once it doesn't interfere with school work that's ok.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Okanagan wrote:I'm liking the idea of a Harry Potter club - visions of them practising spells and whizzing around on broomsticks :D
:lol: As far as I can remember, it's not on the official extracurricular activities list, so perhaps the disappearing spell was perfected in the first week...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

copella wrote:Perhaps some parents like to keep up with the Jones but my boys are the ones who push for their out of school activities. When we suggest perhaps not they want more. Youngest DS is doing indoor cricket in the City of London which means he is out on Saturdays till 9 on the days he plays. He comes home happy and excited whilst were both exhausted. However I prefer that to them sitting watching the tv or computers everyday. They love their sport and once it doesn't interfere with school work that's ok.
Completely agree Copella that if it's sport then I would love to keep it as I already find it hard to keep them moving,an d mine don't do screens and are really active by nature. So don't want the sporty ones to go, although suspect lot more sport at secondary, esp as rugby will be sat and sun. But also music, so important socially and being a part of another group. Guess I'll be led by them.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Guess I'll be led by them.

You will be, but I am proud to say, this is the first year hubby and I have stood up for "our weekends" and insist that one Sunday in four, we are all in the same place. This caused ruptions last week, as ds1 wanted to do footy away match, but ds2 had a rugby match at home, we opted for rugby, because it meant they were on the same pitch in match and training, and ds3 likes playing by the river there too. (Nothing to do with the post-match bar...honest).

Previous years over winter, barely a weekend passed without travelling tens of miles to fixtures opposite sides of the area...this year we printed them all off when available, and made a plan! This has meant we do actually get to speak yo one another at weekends, and eat together occasionally on Sunday lunchtime. :D Also means we can schedule in weekend homework time.

When we commited to parenthood, I never realised the job had a uniform of wellies, waterproofs and woolly hats.....check out my alliteration...and a fixed grin of support, when you have no idea what so ever what is happening on the muddy field you are staring at wistfully.

Thankfully this morning's footy training is in the village...they can walk...and there is no school rugby match for ds1 today. Ahhh the peace that follows the "where are my gloves, boots, shin pads .bla bla bla" it's bliss!
copella

Post by copella »

southbucks3 wrote:Guess I'll be led by them.

When we commited to parenthood, I never realised the job had a uniform of wellies, waterproofs and woolly hats.....check out my alliteration...and a fixed grin of support, when you have no idea what so ever what is happening on the muddy field you are staring at wistfully!
Completely agree Southbucks3. Before we had children we would look and laugh at parents standing in the wind and rain, but now I have a whole other wardrobe just for sport. I would struggle however to do what you have been able to and make one miss a match as I think they have made a commitment to a team and have to support them. However it would be good to have weekends all together as the only time this happens is towards the end of the cricket season and just before football resumes properly.

Ours don't only play sports, there has been scouts, and both play instruments. However there activities have not affected school homework. This comes first and they make sure they complete it. It is only now with GCSEs approaching for the eldest that we are seriously thinking about missing practice sessions on some occasions.

However it depends on what you are willing to or can manage as a family, plus how important the out of school activity is for them.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

. I would struggle however to do what you have been able to and make one miss a match as I think they have made a commitment to a team and have to support them.

You do, like I said, have to be quite brave about confronting your loyalty ethics, but the team's always have more than enough players, double in some cases, and not everyone is selected every week, so I figure it can work both ways, and we don't select the team sometimes now either. Lots of boys juggle rugby and footy, so the loyalty is often divided.
I will keep waffling and justifying, because I refuse to give up my one Sunday in four again. :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Dc1 is now in year 9. This year he has had to miss either tennis or football training a couple of times due to the pressure of homework. He does sport activities two evenings a week, plus football games on Saturday morning, unfortunately the two,sports activities are on consecutive evenings- I think if they were on alternate nights it would be easier.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now