Ofsted

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Ofsted

Post by mystery »

ginx wrote:I've no serious concerns, indeed I have praise for many aspects, excellent teachers, positive attitude, no serious problems with bullying. However, the "excellent teachers" seem to be for the top sets, concern that teachers who many have complained about, have remained. Concern that too much homework is on scraps of paper and not in books, and that homework is not marked regularly. Concern that lunch is at 145 in upper school (seems very late). Concern about uniform.

They're not exactly major problems, apart from the homework, I suppose.

JD, I didn't know Ofsted were there today as well, now I've read my concerns I think they're perhaps rather petty. It's a good school, no school is perfect. The problem regarding homework has always been an issue, but now I have a dd at gs, her teachers mark her homework regularly, detentions handed out if homework not done. Less scraps of paper - girls remember to stick them in their books or they'll get a mark towards a detention. Why can't a comp do the same?

However, that's not really about the comp. I'm still going to put my petty issues forward. Ofsted will probably just ignore them. As to target grades etc, I'm actually not bothered about them. Is that all Ofsted really care about? Dc have targets, don't reach most, exceed a couple, targets are re-set. Not sure what the problem is.

Very proud about dd1 yesterday. Got an A3 in German writing and has been told to submit it for GCSE. She worked very, very hard, not being academic, and this achievement is good. Hard work pays off, and does wonder for her confidence. Perhaps I'll praise the language department. :D
They are not major, but they do not read as minor either. If course a comp can be same as a grammar in these respects. It is the same job. The things that you raise could affect a child's learning - particularly only giving the excellent teachers to the top sets. That is hardly a good idea!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

My only experience of Ofsted inspection (primary school, 5 years ago) was wholly dispiriting as we and several other parents flagged up a few concerns which didn't appear to have been addressed or even mentioned in the final 'outstanding' report. It felt like I had wasted my time.
Concern that lunch is at 145 in upper school (seems very late).
Ginx this was one issue I raised and it was quite a major issue in pre-pump days… :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The problem with parent view (from memory) is that you are very restricted as you have to answer specific questions. I don't think there is any free text (apologies if I've remebered it wrong, I haven't looked at it for a couple of years).
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

Rob, this ISN'T the school that my diabetic daughter goes to, but it's a big school (1800+ students inc. sixth form). I only know two diabetic students - but there must be others.

I feel lunch at 145 is too late. My older two dc prefer not to have school lunches, because the queues are so long they then don't eat until after 2pm. Having left home at 8am and cycled 3 miles to school, they are starving at 2. This was a particular shock in year 7, as at junior school lunch was at 1230.

Most dc take packed lunches and eat them during break, at 11am.

If my diabetic daughter was there, I'd be more worried. Thanks for the reminder. JD, I've got to do this today, I hope I have "space" to mention this. Thanks for the warning.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Off topic, but it seems to me that lunch is often late in senior school - I think it's so that they only have one lesson in the "afternoon". At our GS it is 1:40-2:20, I think. They seem to eat lunch at break (?11:20am) and are then starving at 4pm.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Ginx, yes I was aware this was your other children's school, was just making the point that Ofsted seem to be able to pick and choose what they take any notice of – we had written letters, had meetings with the HT etc but only got sensible action when we started quoting the DDA (as it then was). Ofsted weren't in the slightest bit interested, we had to fight our own battles…

Just my experience, I'm pleased if everyone else has had happier ones.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now