Teaching DC French

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Teaching DC French

Post by Guest55 »

I'd like her to get a B at GCSE in a MFL so that she doesn't narrow her future options/Uni choices etc
There are very few courses that require a MFL at GCSE ... look on UCAS website. Some Bucks GS no longer require pupils to take a GCSE in MFL; some pupils just don't have an aptitude and it is better to do a subject that they can do!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My son had the same aptitude for languages as a camel does for water-skiing, luckily ( for both him and the language dept) he did not have to struggle his way through another 2 years to GCSE
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Never say never...Like I have said before, my "u" at o level, blossomed into an easily passed module of my degree!

http://img0090.popscreencdn.com/9866826 ... int-ad.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I love it!
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

southbucks3 wrote:Never say never...Like I have said before, my "u" at o level, blossomed into an easily passed module of my degree!

http://img0090.popscreencdn.com/9866826 ... int-ad.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Brilliant! I should add that I was once told not to take German O level as I might get an 'E'.... so I ignored the teacher, got a B, continued with it and have a degree in it. :lol:

The suggestion for a mentor is a good idea Minesatea, I think my DD had a mentor for something else in Yr 7. She seemed to really like the French assistant they had last year and was keen on French until she left, then it all seemed to go downhill.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I seriously cannot imagine my life without foreign languages, but I am sure my enthusiasm has put all of my children off ever studying them beyond GSCE. :(

I have forced them all to speak in many countries using the native words; and still annoy and embarrass them now by switching to other languages when the words seem better or I have been drinking. They are begging to be allowed to go somewhere on holiday where I cannot speak a word of the language so they can be like other people and just shout at everyone in English.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I did that with dh but he then spent two weeks stomping around Greek islands with a phrase book :shock: not sure which was worse :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Amber wrote:I seriously cannot imagine my life without foreign languages, but I am sure my enthusiasm has put all of my children off ever studying them beyond GSCE. :(

I have forced them all to speak in many countries using the native words; and still annoy and embarrass them now by switching to other languages when the words seem better or I have been drinking. They are begging to be allowed to go somewhere on holiday where I cannot speak a word of the language so they can be like other people and just shout at everyone in English.
USA springs to mind.

I've always tried to learn a few key phrases in the language of the country I'm going to to. Please, thank you, hello, goodbye, two beers please :lol:
When, after a week of touring the Yucatan, we arrived at the inclusive hotel for the second week of put holiday, we asked the obviously long suffering barman for 'two beers please' in Spanish. We were greeted by a big smile. We didn't have to wait to be served for the rest of the week, the staff actively came to us asking if we wanted more when our glasses were nearly empty. No one else (various nationalities, not just British) bothered even saying please, let alone saying it in Spanish.
It doesn't take much effort to learn a few words.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I may have already related on this forum the occasion when a gentleman in France went into a bakery my OH was in and shouted 'do you have any meat pies?' at the bemused assistant. He then grumbled to the assembled clientele that it was unclear what one was meant to have for lunch in the absence of such provender. He called upon OH to translate, and OH suddenly forgot that he could speak English.

And talking of Greece, having several years ago forced my children to order their food in Greek at a little taverna, we were most embarrassed when a very sunburnt English gentleman and his good lady friend, both attired in full replica Manchester United football kit, arrived and asked (after inexplicably removing their shoes, forgetting that they were not in a mosque) 'do you do the full English?' (this at about 1pm). They asked this a total of three times at increasing volume before leaving in disgust.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There's also the myth that all the Dutch speak English. (After spending 7 weeks working there I can assure you they don't.)
We were in the hotel bar one evening when another Brit asked the barmaid for a pint.
Her English was excellent, but since the Dutch don't use the imperial system, she didn't understand what he was after.

I had to translate and tell her half a litre, and explain to him that they don't do pints.

Back on topic, my logical, literal minded DD has taken to German far better than she has ever taken to French. After one term of German she can have simple conversations with her father. After 6 years of French at primary, she still wasn't at that level. Thankfully French and German have equal status at her school. She has started German in year 7 and will start (again) French in year 8. She will have to do one or the other at GCSE but I'm already pretty sure which one.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now