What will replace levels?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

What will replace levels?

Post by silverysea »

Can anyone explain what is going to happen instead of levels? I have finally I think got the hang of them.

What did they have before? Grades like ABC?

I'm especially interested in KS3 but maybe the same applies to other stages.

Were/are levels used for KS4, or do they just shift to ABC etc grades?
Guest55

Re: What will replace levels?

Post by Guest55 »

As QI would say 'nobody knows' as no guidance has been issued. It is interesting that the results of the consultation on assessment, which closed last autumn, have not even been published.

Most of the schools I know are keeping what they have at the moment.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

As Guest says, its up to individual schools and there's currently no guidance on this :shock:

I have DC in yrs 6 and 4 - so one who will be levelled at the end of KS2 and one who won't. My question is, will those who have been levelled continue to be until the end of their compulsory education or will they move to the new system (whatever that is) too??

JD
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

That hadn't occurred to me-I think it would be hard to administer two systems at the same time. On the other hand, maybe if a school invents or adopts a new system, mayb they will bring it in gradually?

Mind you, KS3 SATS were abolished some time ago, but dd1 in year 9 is sitting them shortly for maths and literacy. The addiction to assessment is hard to break?

Maybe most schools will just carry on as they were, given the choice. Why add more upheaval?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Just a thought...and I have zero knowledge so forgive me:
Are the current sats papers created on contract? If so, does the end of sats mean that more companies can bid to win contracts with schools or groups of schools to produce some kind of yearly test papers?
moved

Post by moved »

Technically levelled education ends with the 2014 curriculum. The children in years 1,2 and 5, 6 are the only children who will have levels assigned and these will only be assigned within the national tests for years 2 and 6 in 2016.

I'm working with a local authority at the moment on assessment post levels and what it will look like. Essentially the new system that we are working towards will give: emerging (working towards), expected (working at) and exceeded (working beyond).
The schools that I work with are already trialling this system with years 3 and 4 alongside the usual levels system.

Obviously, the data collected on children needs to be continued and schools are working out how their value added will be calculated in the future.

Regarding national tests, there are test frameworks that are due to be published which will give the expected standard of years 2 and 6 in English and maths.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What are they working towards, working at and exceeding? The stuff for that year listed in the new national curriculum?

And if a child gets a long way behind behind? If they are in year 6 and have only grasped year 3 maths would you describe them as working towards year 6 or working towards year 4? Why not just be black and white and say they are working at year 3?
moved

Post by moved »

Yes, it will be judged on annual criteria. One suggested system is to assign a range of numbers to the curriculum of each year, which would therefore accommodate children working at different year groups.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Every school is allowed to do its own thing isn't it? Are some authorities trying to make all the schools in their area do it the same way?

What is the minimum that a school will have to report back to parents? Are you purely working on what should be the way of stating outcomes at year 2 and year 6, or a system which will enable ( as now) some information for parents along the way?

The new national curriculum had, for me, initial hope of being clearer for the average parent about what their child has been taught / has learned along the way during their primary career. The fog surrounding assessment ( both ongoing and terminal) is not boding well.

I fear that at primary schools with already depressed achievement that absolute standards will drop further.

Are QCA being commissioned to write up to date optional test papers for each year group that fit the new curriculum? If not, why not?

Think sales of wh smith type workbooks for home use are going to soar next year. I don't yet see how the new nc is going to raise standards in the pockets of schools or socio-economic groups where this is needed?
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

mystery wrote:The fog surrounding assessment ( both ongoing and terminal) is not boding well.

I fear that at primary schools with already depressed achievement that absolute standards will drop further.
I agree. How can anything be managed unless it's measured? How can anything be accounted for unless it's measured against an expected (relative or absolute) target and that communicated?

The assessment regime might not be perfect, but it does those things at least. Broad categorisations muddy the water.

I assume SATs are here to stay, so what benchmark will they use, and will the levels change leave parents/carers in the dark regarding progress (or lack of), both within a year and year to year?

I assume OFSTED pay attention to levels and progress, so they'll first be assessing the monitoring system a school uses.

How will an LEA compare schools' provision against each other? Although academisationmight dismantle LEAs anyway!

It's all change, but is it all of benefit?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now