Going to Big School

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kittymum

Re: Going to Big School

Post by kittymum »

Mouth guards are all Greek to me! I can just about get shin pads and then I'm lost! This is going to be a huge learning experience for us :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

In which case I would suggest going with the fitted option if the school offers it, for the first time at least if you can stretch to it. It will be one less thing to stress about to begin with.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD had a boil and fit one to start with as she was having othrodontic work to widen her jaw, so a custom made one wouldn't last for long. Once that finished she got one made by the dentist and the fit is infinitely better. She can even talk with it in and shut her mouth. She says it's so much more comfortable. Dentist left spaces for her remaining canines to grow into as well. Worth having a boil and for one as a spare.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Last year the only spare boil one I could get was pink - it really seemed to focus both of my DS's minds :lol:
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Golly I've googled boil to fit mouth guards as it all sounded quite scary and dangerous - and it would appear it is! You don't get this with dance - much easier!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I got an excellent tip off the older thread on this topic last year - buy some plastic a4 folders so that one can be used for each subject to keep eg exercise book and text book or vocabulary book or miscellaneous sheets altogether and hopefully not forgotten! It worked like a dream and I will be doing the same for DS in September.....
My tip to DD was to be brave and go to clubs that appealed to her even if she didn't know anyone, then you meet people who like the same things as you.
DD got very worked up about tests in the first term (they seem to have them constantly) now she takes it in her stride.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think I might be the plastic folder lady as I have a slightly worrying obsession with them :oops: :shock: ds 1 ( is year 10) started using them in year 7 and this year abandoned them as just not cool!! In about February I noticed they were back in use!

One up for mum and of course I didn't gloat ( well only a little bit) :lol:
titch

Post by titch »

I am liking the plastic wallets idea and have been looking round but work out which brand/size to get that will fit books/folders etc so would welcome your knowledge of which brand/size has worked best.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

titch wrote:I am liking the plastic wallets idea and have been looking round but work out which brand/size to get that will fit books/folders etc so would welcome your knowledge of which brand/size has worked best.

Something like this, must be foolscap or A4 plus as the now call it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snopake-Zippa-P ... B000TKHHPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

Personally prefer popper to zip as they tend to break but you do then need to label if not clear plastic . Tbh, probably want name clearly on wallet anyway.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now