Teacher gifts at christmas in secondary?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andanotherkentmum

Teacher gifts at christmas in secondary?

Post by andanotherkentmum »

Hi, hoping for some advice. My son is coming to the end of his first term at secondary and we have no idea whether it is the norm to give gifts to form tutor/any other teacher or whether we can happily leave this behind as a distant memory from primary? Any advice/suggestions much appreciated. Many thanks!
ToadMum

Re: Teacher gifts at christmas in secondary?

Post by ToadMum »

Doesn't seem necessary at the school DS1 and DD are at and at least when the former was there, not at the school DS2 is now at, either. DS2 is a prolific Christmas card writer, though, so may do cards.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think my children would have been mortified if I had proposed sending in presents for the teachers at secondary school. I think you can safely let yourself off the hook. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I sometimes get a small gift when students leave or a group will get me something but it is certainly not expected.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Amber wrote:I think my children would have been mortified if I had proposed sending in presents for the teachers at secondary school. I think you can safely let yourself off the hook. :D
Phew! Though I feel sorry for thorntons, it's going to effect their 3 for 2 profit margins!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I didn't even bother at primary school. DD does write her form tutor a card though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A tin of biscuits for the staff room always goes down well if you want to give :D
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I don't think form tutors expect presents at all but my DD loves her tutor so much she chose to make something for her. I had nothing to do with it, so I guess that's the difference at secondary - up to the children, not us.

I'm sure the teachers would all appreciate the staffroom biscuit tin idea though. I know that goes down well at our primary and it evens out the distribution of gifts - class teachers get loads and the more back-room staff and part-time teachers, who also work hard, don't!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Think teachers do a great job, I really do, but so do I and many of my other working friends and none of us get gifts! My husband is a nurse and occasionally they get a box of chocs to share, which is lovely, but not expected
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Guest55 wrote:A tin of biscuits for the staff room always goes down well if you want to give :D

I've done this in the past, but dropped it into the office when I was passing. Saving embarrassment for one teenager!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now