Swearing and adult themes in school English coursework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Re: Swearing and adult themes in school English coursework

Post by Peridot »

At least with the stage show of Curious Incident there is a clear warning if one cares to check the website before going along. It says:

"There is some strong language in this production, as there is in the novel. This occurs at the very beginning of the show and infrequently at other points during the show. We can provide a copy of the full script should you wish to have more information."

Mine were both teens when we went to see it and we'd all read the book, so no surprises.
DC17C

Re: Swearing and adult themes in school English coursework

Post by DC17C »

JamesDean wrote:Back on topic, DS's school are about the put on a production of 'Earthquakes in London' which has been advertised as yr 9+. DS loves drama and so questioned his teacher (and director of the play) about this, as I'd said we couldn't go as he's in yr 8. She said it was of course down to parental choice, but the age restriction had been put on due to the language used in the play. I found this most ironic, as they took the whole of yr 7 down to London to see 'Billy Elliott' last year!! :shock:

(We're going to see it now ...)

JD
I have to say Iwas quite surprised at the language in Billy Elliot the Musical - I don't know why because I'd seen the film and know that is a 15. Anyway my 14 yr old dd loved it but did tell me she'd learned a few words she had not heard before :lol: