parents' evening in yr 7 grammar

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wildwest

parents' evening in yr 7 grammar

Post by wildwest »

we are heading to our first parents' evening soon. Through out primary, all we asked the teacher (apart from what they tell us) was, about friendships and if dd is happy in school.
This will obviously be on our list, even now. But the school has produced various reports about their grades and set targets etc.

I wondered if anyone here can share their experience about what would be important to find out...

many thanks
ToadMum

Re: parents' evening in yr 7 grammar

Post by ToadMum »

Your DD's school may do things differently, but in my experience (3 DC, 2 grammar schools plus DD having spent year 7 at a comprehensive) you will have a maximum of about five minutes with each teacher. So unless there are major problems on the pastoral front which you need to discuss with an appropriate (usually other) person, your conversations with subject teachers will mainly be about your DD's academic progress and they won't really be expecting to have much of a chat about friendship groups and the like.

Have a good look at the 'grades and targets'. Are there any apparent discrepancies, or anything that you don't understand? If current assessment looks like not being on track to achieve the target set in a subject, what is the school intending to do to help your DD remedy this?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our Grammar school has an early Parents Evening for Y7s...as in early in the year - and the focus of that one is very much: how well your son has settled - because, at that point, that is all that really matters.

There should be no shocks to you - if there were any major problems the school/teachers should have addressed it with you prior to the parents evening - if they haven't then I would certainly be questioning why they had waited till now to bring it up! As TM says - your main focus should be if there are any discrepancies in what you would expect the targets to be, what the grades are currently or any issues your dd has brought to your attention.

You will not have time for an in depth chat and should be mindful that as a parent you have a responsibility to move on at the end of your allotted time, just as the teacher does. If you need more time, make an appointment to see them again - there is nothing worse than getting stuck behind a parent who decides they are entitled to take as long as they like at each appt - I know, last year we had that misfortune!! And be prepared for it to feel a bit like a bunfight, despite the appointments system!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Make appointments five minutes apart so it is not so rushed.

Is your child going with you? We encourage students to come too so they hear everything.

Ask about strengths and any areas where they need help. Teachers like to hear positive things so if your child enjoys the subject and you've noticed how frequently the book is marked then do say so!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

If your child is responsible for booking appointments remind them of the layout of the school beforehand. Dashing back and forth across the school evening is no fun. Write on the top of of the form any teachers you definitely want to see, you may not get round all of them. Take a thermal cup of coffee with you.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

No, we have been asked not to take her along this year. I think they accompany us from year 9.

They have allocated 10min appt with 5min gap between two... so that is ok.

The reports say what the target is, what she has got in that subject now, and if she is 'on target', 'ahead' or 'lagging behind'. Thankfully, there are no lagging behinds but she has dropped a level down in English, compared to her level in year 6. I thought that this might be expected, given the long summer holidays, new school etc.. But I will be asking if anything needs to be done about it.

oh yes, I have been there too kenyancowgirl... waiting behind parents who just don't move on. Recently, at my son's infant school, we had our first parents' evening there as he has started a new school. There, they rang a bell which the whole school could hear, and this was a clue for people to move on. I thought that was quite a good idea, takes the pressure off the teachers to have to nudge them...
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Guest55 wrote:. Teachers like to hear positive things so if your child enjoys the subject and you've noticed how frequently the book is marked then do say so!
That is a great a tip. thanks G55
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

RedVelvet wrote:remind them of the layout of the school beforehand.
I didn't think of this.... never mind.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

wildwest wrote:
RedVelvet wrote:remind them of the layout of the school beforehand.
I didn't think of this.... never mind.

My son's in yr 10 and he still hasn't fully grasped this!
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

:) :)