Grade Changes

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Grade Changes

Post by tiffinboys »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35054399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it is becoming worthwhile to challenge the initial results.
Guest55

Re: Grade Changes

Post by Guest55 »

Although the number of enquiries about results increased in 2015, the proportion of all grades changed was 1.1%," said the JCQ's director general Michael Turner.
A very small number change - and I note this doesn't say whether they went up or down!
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Guest55 wrote:
Although the number of enquiries about results increased in 2015, the proportion of all grades changed was 1.1%," said the JCQ's director general Michael Turner.
A very small number change - and I note this doesn't say whether they went up or down!
A BBC report says:
Appeals against results meant that 62,000 grades were changed at GCSE and 28,500 at A-level.
It means that the number of grades changed after re-marking has almost doubled in three years. In 99% of cases, it was an upwards change.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35054399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
moved

Post by moved »

No longer a small number that change. Getting copy scripts is well worth while. Mark schemes are too thin at the early stages. We need a system that uses 'item response theory' so the questions are trial led and the results reliable.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

1% is small - compare it to anything else in life ... more than 1% of things go wrong.

Examiners are poorly paid and they aren't necessarily teachers - that's where they problem lies. I've got colleagues who are examiners and it's a stressful job now marking on screen hundreds of the same few questions - everything is scanned and electronic.

However I think it's time to consider returning photocopy scripts routinely - charge a bit more for the entry and send the photocopy with the result. Then examiners know their marking will be scrutinised and maybe also we need to be prepared to wait a bit longer for the results?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now