Year 7 Calculator problem

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Year 7 Calculator problem

Post by Tinkers »

From memory (no pun intended) I don't think there was anything else DD did in year 7 that she needed to know on her calculator, but I think the syllabus will have changed a bit. Maybe using the brackets will be useful?

Casios are all pretty much the same. My DD uses one I got given at an exhibition and it is a slightly different model to the one the school sells, but they didn't insist on a specific model and she is happy to use it. It has a company name embossed on it so no one else can nick it and not notice. She has yet a different model at home and often uses the scientific calculator on her iPad as well (because it is too much effort to get a calculator out of her bag or from the desk :roll: )
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

G55 I'll try to find out and let you know. He had a recent assessment and only scored 33% on the calculator paper (honestly not a true reflection on his maths capability) and when he got home said that he just doesn't know how to use the calculator. As I've mentioned I have emailed his maths teacher (over 2 weeks ago and followed up but still no response!) One of my questions to the teacher was could I have a copy of the maths paper so I could work through it with him at home. I intend to call the school next week and try to get hold of the teacher that way.

I know as soon as I've sat with him and gone through it all with him, he'll get it, problem is I'm really not sure what sort of questions I need to use as examples for him to practice using the calculator on (if that makes sense!). Whilst I am confident with maths, it's been a very very long time since I used a mathematical calculator and I'll will have to re-teach myself!

I think there's a maths club, I did mention this to him, but I think it clashes with the cricket club that has just started and he's desperate to make the cricket team, tells me that if he doesn't turn up for training it will go against him! Although he has said that he wants to get help with the calculator and I know that if the maths club was on a different day, he'll gladly go, but not at the expense of losing a chance of gaining a place on the cricket squad. It's the reason I thought I'd try and deal with it at home.

I think I really need to speak to his teacher :roll:

Feel slightly doomed!
doodles

Post by doodles »

You are not doomed! I can virtually guarantee he won't be the only one and best to get it sorted now than push it aside wait until exam time and be in a panic.

There's no shame in a refresher lesson - promise!
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

thanks Doodles, I'm sure you're right in that he's not alone :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now