Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 am 
Hi ,
Does anyone know of an english programme or text book which covers the whole key stage 3 sylabus?,I would also be interested in software programmes on or offline progammes. Does anyone do kumon english out there? Any comments? My child is in year 7 ,but his written english leaves much to be desired! Am concerned as english underpins most of the other subjects.I want to sort the problem out now before it becomes a' mountain'.There are a lot of books out there ,but I would like recommendations.Can any one help? Guest 55 are you there.
many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:55 am 

Why not ask the school to recommend one? That way you'll be working together - I know tht some teachers don't like children doing Kumon maths for example, because it "fights" with what they are doing at school and it can be counter-productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:04 pm 

Sorry I'm a mathematician :lol:

You could try www.bbc.co.uk/schools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:08 pm 
oh really,i didn't realise that about kumon ,many thanks anyway.For both your replies.

Post subject: Maths & English
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 am 
Hi

On a similar note, my daughter still wants to study Maths and English at home now that the 11+ is over. She doesn't feel challenged at school and wants to keep moving ahead. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do with her? Any books she could follow?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:31 am 

Hi,

We went straight into KS2 revision to continue the momentum and then looked at KS3 books from CGP. It worked for us. :)

stevew61

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:38 am 
Thanks Stevew61

I'll check those out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:40 pm 

Guest555

I always recommend www.nrich.maths.org - using the curriculum link on the left you can find activities linked to what pupils are doing in school

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 pm 

All I can say is I feel sorry for all these year 7 children having to do extra work. With her homework and her out of school activities my daughter has barely had a moment to call her own since she started secondary school - and I want her to spend those moments flopping, or playing with her brother, or messing about , not doing extra work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm 
Well you are the lucky one!! At least your child gets homework and probably gets a decent level of support in school. Not all of our children do