Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chimera-ma

Re: Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

Post by chimera-ma »

Thanks for the reassurance, onebigdilemma and PurpleDuck.

I do remember from an Open School event that the headteacher at DS's new school said last year's cohort came from about 70 different primary schools, so the school must be used to variation in newcomers' preparedness. I'm probably worrying unduly.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Don't worry, Chimera-ma, as you said, secondary schools are well used to dealing with a wide range of preparedness in their new students in year 7. Your DS will be perfectly fine. Enjoy the summer! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

My DS has had it pretty easy since his 11 plus exams last September. This week I will start him on English, Reading and Maths. I think he has slipped. Will use CGP KS3 Maths on him, and the supplementary books to First Aid in English to improve his everyday English. Will do this to end of July. This will let him hit the ground running in Y7.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is no need to use KS3 books - they are probably not written to the latest NC anyway.

The best preparation for Secondary maths is applying the knowedge already acquired ie nrich [www.nrich.maths.org] or other similar resources.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I honestly don't think that they'll be behind - most children are in the same boat. When dd was in year 6 she did very little after SATs and it really didn't affect her. However she was quite bored at school! Ds is currently in year 6 and they are still doing maths/English but also doing a lot of project work eg on different countries or "creating" their own island state and writing tourism brochures for it, planning finances for it etc - he is really enjoying what they are doing now. It's work without feeling like it if you know what I mean!