Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chimera-ma

Re: Year 6 to Year 7: Bridging the gap post-SATs

Post by chimera-ma »

Yes, we have the same situation with Maths, and the only homework is a Mayan project. The project requires research, organisation and creative input - all great things (a pity there wasn't more of this during the year) - and it's fun for DS as well, but he tells me there is hardly any Maths in class, only one Science lesson in recent weeks, no Spelling, etc, so I'm concerned.

I'm glad they have a year-end musical to rehearse, and the teamwork aspect is important, but mid-May to early September is too long without at least refreshing learning in the core subjects.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mid-May to early September is too long without at least refreshing learning in the core subjects.
No it isn't, come on! He's not going to forget everything he ever learned in 3 months, and once he is back in the swing of it again he will catch up any bits he's rusty on.

Predictably, I would say stop worrying and let your son have a wild, carefree summer. Y7 will begin by recapping a load of stuff done at primary school and I really wouldn't worry about any 'gaps' to bridge. None of mine did anything at all even vaguely academic between primary and secondary, were neither top nor bottom of the class when they went to Y7, coped with most things, had a couple of wobblies over others for maybe a week...like life really. All fine now and certainly no lasting consequences of any perceived easing off when they were 11.

This is his last summer as a child - let him play!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree but I do think schools should be using some of the resources I linked - it's a great opportunity to enrich learning and explore some 'real-life' problems.

There are some great maths resources for learning [at school] outside the classroom :)
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

I'd be very happy if DS's school did use the 'nrich' and 'emptyclassroomday' material you recommend, Guest55, and I'll certainly explore it with DS myself. Having had a good look through the material this morning, I think I'll have a good go at some of it myself :D I don't think I'll have any difficulty encouraging DS (and friends) to engage in some of the activities over the holidays. Thank you.
Amber wrote:
This is his last summer as a child - let him play!
Amber, I hope I haven't forgotten the importance of carefree playtime and there will be plenty of time for that, but I disagree with you about the suitability of so much time off from study. A few weeks maybe, but not a few months. It may depend on the child, but DS, who has no siblings, did adopt an 'I'm bored' catchphrase and disposition after about three days during the recent half-term break and seems to value his downtime more when interspersed with planned activities.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

My Dd looks back on the end of year 6 as the happiest most carefree time in her life since starting school.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I think that they are expected to work so hard once they start secondary school that it is really important that they are just allowed to be and enjoy the summer before they start, as well as take advantage of all the enrichment opportunities they get at the end of primary school from residential trips to parties etc.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

DS1 didn't do anything remotely 'academic' during his summer holidays after year 6 - he read a book if he wanted to, played with friends, went to the cinema and generally totally chilled out. My plan for DS2 is exactly the same.

When I spoke to year 7 teachers during GS open days, they all said that the first term was typically spent revising a lot of KS2 material, making sure that everyone was on the same level, as some children came in with significant chunks of KS3 curriculum already covered and some had gaps in various areas. It would be very unlikely for anyone to be lagging behind from day one. Museums, theatres and other enrichment activities are ideal for summer holidays (along with a lot of 'just relaxing'), but I would not make my DCs do any 'formal' learning during their summer break; plus even if I tried, they would most likely flatly refuse!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don't remember doing anything with DD over that summer. She certainly wasn't behind when she started secondary. Not sure how we would have fitted much in.
However she does read quite a lot and her primary didn't do a complete stop either.

Her current school doesn't set any homework during any school holidays. They think it is important they get a break from work.
tian

Post by tian »

My plan is doing something until he doesn't finish school. Once he starts summer holidays end of it and total relax, and just read as DS likes doing it.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I never thought about prep before starting GS. My son loved the last term of year 6, more relaxed activities and trips. We had a carefree summer before the shock of year 7 struck!!
His primary didn't give homework so it was a massive learning curve getting into a routine of an evening.
He did notice that a number of children had come from better primaries (in his opinion, although his was in special measures!), he was only 1 of 2 in the class who hadn't done French.
The end of year 7 is close and his end of year tests show that although he may not have been pushed at primary, or covered as much as other children he is thriving.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now