Football/rugby boots

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Football/rugby boots

Post by Guest55 »

The boots need the right studs ... they have a special kite mark from what I remember. Good PE departments will check as its dangerous to play rugby with the wrong studs.
KB

Post by KB »

If the boots have already had some wear and have moulded plastic studs then it's quite possible they have started to wear and won't be safe for rugby. It's partly about slipping but also about injuring others.
In a game your DS may try to stay out of the play but in training there will be practice of tackling and being tackled!
From an article in the Independent a few years ago
"The International Rugby Board introduced law 4.3 last summer stating that "studs/cleats of player's boots must...not be longer than 21 mm, and must not have any burring or sharp edges".
The ref/ games teacher should be checking that studs aren't sharp or abrasive. DS thinks it's a 10mm minimum diameter for the studs but that might not be correct.
Interestingly, after some nasty cuts to footballers there seems to have been a move to more regulations re football studs as well.

It seems quite unhelpful for the school not to have stipulated the requirements re boots.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

loobylou wrote:Thanks everyone. I have gone to the well known cheap sports retailer and bought astros and indoor trainers. Ds already has football boots that fit him. He has every expectation of hating rugby and staying in the unhurt untackled position - but, should he suddenly love it, I think there are plenty of cheap pairs of rugby boots online too!
The - laws in rugby are to protect the other players....please make sure he has the correct studs in his football boots as, whilst he is hoping to be in a non-tackling position (don't really exist!) and not get hurt, one of the biggest dangers to all players is getting studded. He has a responsibility to his team mates and opposition to make sure he is not a danger. The first day my son played, one boy insisted on wearing his football boots and managed to slice his own leg (don't ask!) so badly, he was taken off in an ambulance.

For the sake of less than £10 for safety studs, I am sure the other parents would thank you to change them, in the same way you would wish them to.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

OK, thanks for clarifying everyone. Shall also get a pair of rugby boots. I agree it would have been helpful to have more clarity. I can't be the only person who looks blank when confronted with a pair of sports boots!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

loobylou wrote: I can't be the only person who looks blank when confronted with a pair of sports boots!
Be reassured, you are not! :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Our local sports shops sells sets of rugby studs for less than £5.

Both DS have their boots checked regularly and definitely by the ref before every match - so in effect they are being checked at least once a week. It really annoys me when I see parents letting their DC walk down the pavement back to the car in studded boots - that's one of the main ways they become sharp - and before anybody comments :D I'm not talking about running out from the changing room onto the pitch :lol:

As a parent of boys that have been raked by studs it's horrid and very painful.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:OK, thanks for clarifying everyone. Shall also get a pair of rugby boots. I agree it would have been helpful to have more clarity. I can't be the only person who looks blank when confronted with a pair of sports boots!
The world is divided into two sets of mothers - those whose sons like kicking balls and wrestling each other to the ground on muddy fields, and those who don't. I fall into the latter group and even with a 17 year old and a 15 year old I have absolutely no idea about any of this - I just seem to find horrid smelly boots in plastic bags in places like the garage and the porch sometimes, with no apparent owner and with no idea from whence they came. Ideally you will find a parent like me who is happy to offload these bags to you as your son's feet grow; he can then wear them twice before not joining in any more and you can pass them to another similar mother.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Amber wrote:
loobylou wrote:OK, thanks for clarifying everyone. Shall also get a pair of rugby boots. I agree it would have been helpful to have more clarity. I can't be the only person who looks blank when confronted with a pair of sports boots!
The world is divided into two sets of mothers - those whose sons like kicking balls and wrestling each other to the ground on muddy fields, and those who don't. I fall into the latter group and even with a 17 year old and a 15 year old I have absolutely no idea about any of this - I just seem to find horrid smelly boots in plastic bags in places like the garage and the porch sometimes, with no apparent owner and with no idea from whence they came. Ideally you will find a parent like me who is happy to offload these bags to you as your son's feet grow; he can then wear them twice before not joining in any more and you can pass them to another similar mother.
:lol: To my dh's despair, ds is quite happy to kick balls around, he just doesn't like the thought of getting hurt. So he is football rather than rugby all the way. I have forced myself to take an interest in football as dh refuses; I sincerely hope I won't have to take an interest in rugby - though dh would probably be quite happy to take over then. :roll:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

kenyancowgirl wrote:(...) one of the biggest dangers to all players is getting studded. He has a responsibility to his team mates and opposition to make sure he is not a danger. The first day my son played, one boy insisted on wearing his football boots and managed to slice his own leg (don't ask!) so badly, he was taken off in an ambulance.
Very true - I still remember how worried I was when DS came home after a rugby match with bruises from studs on his back, less than 5 millimeters from his spine; he didn't have any recollection of how he got them. I dread to think what could have happened it they were sharp football studs.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
KB

Post by KB »

Loobylou-
If DH plays, or you have another friend who does and is trustworthy it might be worth enlisting their help. My DSs have helped various younger ones with a bit of gentle practice pre year 7 - just to make them a bit more confident before they start and they haven't dreaded the idea of rugby lessons.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now