Mouthguard advice - for a mouth full of gaps

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JamesDean

Re: Mouthguard advice - for a mouth full of gaps

Post by JamesDean »

DD's orthodontists sell the over brace ones - they're not as substantial as the proper one DS has for rugby, but she hasn't started doing hockey yet. I will investigate further when she does.

JD
chimera-ma

Re: Mouthguard advice - for a mouth full of gaps

Post by chimera-ma »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:Chimera-Ma what did you decide in the end?

After much deliberating here we decided to get the school one done. It cost us £58. The mould was done yesterday at school, 6 out of 30 boys! Kind of wishing I had not bothered now. It had better be the dogs b******* of mouthguards!!
After being quoted an unaffordable £80 by the dentist (Sevenoaks), we went for the same option as you, SlightlyStressedMum.

DS had his mould done at school today - a process he described as 'totally weird'.

I still think we were right not going the DIY route, at least this first time, with DS's complicated mouth. I have no experience of mouthguards, so will get a sense of intended fit from this custom-made one before thinking about going home-boiled next time.

DS has just told me that only a few boys in his class had moulds taken. Perhaps some of the others in his and your DS's forms are seasoned rugby players with seasoned mouthguards from Year 6? :|