Year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Threeroyals

Year 7

Post by Threeroyals »

Hi, My DD started year 7 this year, we are from SW Consortium and the school she is attending have AQA for science and EDEXCEL for maths is there and recommended books i need to buy it for her,I would say she is average in science hence i wanted to give has much help as possible.
there are lot of information about 11 plus after that i don't no where to look for help as i didn't studied in UK and also i don't know much how thinks work here hence asking for help for any parents who have some help. THKS
ToadMum

Re: Year 7

Post by ToadMum »

Threeroyals wrote:Hi, My DD started year 7 this year, we are from SW Consortium and the school she is attending have AQA for science and EDEXCEL for maths is there and recommended books i need to buy it for her,I would say she is average in science hence i wanted to give has much help as possible.
there are lot of information about 11 plus after that i don't no where to look for help as i didn't studied in UK and also i don't know much how thinks work here hence asking for help for any parents who have some help. THKS
She's only been there half a term; I would just let the school get on with its job of teaching her. I'm assuming that she is not actually struggling with either subject, having shown herself able enough to get an academic place at the school? If there is anything she is having difficulty with, her first port of call for advice should be her subject teacher.

Is there an extracurricular Science Club? These are good for reinforcing learning by using science in fun ways (but the emphasis is on enjoying the subject).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Let her settle in first, getting used to secondary science and maths will take time. You don't need to worry about GCSE boards yet (worry at AQA and Exedel later), but I found CGP KS3 maths and science quite helpful - organised into topics that you can dip in and out of. Good for supplementing what they have learnt in class and good value.

If it is just a particular topic once in a while, she can go to BBC bitesize (free) - they too have good explainations and quizzes.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hanaF wrote:Let her settle in first, getting used to secondary science and maths will take time. You don't need to worry about GCSE boards yet (worry at AQA and Exedel later), but I found CGP KS3 maths and science quite helpful - organised into topics that you can dip in and out of. Good for supplementing what they have learnt in class and good value.

If it is just a particular topic once in a while, she can go to BBC bitesize (free) - they too have good explainations and quizzes.
Yes - Bitesize is very good (if you can ignore the awful " 'ey oop!" chap :lol: . But he may have been pensioned off by now?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This needs to be posted in the beyond eleven plus general section.

These boards are the most common ones for Maths and Science.

Which books have they recommended?

The CGP books are excellent and they do board specific ones.

In Secondary school you have the huge advantage of actually seeing your dd's school books so you can keep an eye on how she is doing.

Our school does end of topic tests so you can make sure that these areas have been grasped.

Which school are you at? I am sure that most schools do this as it is a great way of keeping track. DG
Threeroyals

Post by Threeroyals »

Many thanks for all your advice I will buy the CGP books what worries me is she said she wants help is science and I can't afford for tutor probably CGP book will help her and they don't have science club for year 7s.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Trust me, there is nothing a teacher likes to hear more than a child who wants help in their subject. She should speak to the staff first and foremost. They may have an academic mentor type scheme where Older students or prefects help younger ones as well. Most schools do.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm sure she's not the only one, the transition from primary school to secondary school science can be a bit of a shock.

As others have said before you pay out for books do ask her to go to the teacher first, use BBC bitesize (DS found it good for explaining things again after lessons) and make sure there isn't a lunchtime science "clinic" these are often manned by A level student / senior pupils and are great for just clarifying things.

Good luck and do remember she's only been there a few weeks and is probably learning more than she realises :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Also, when the time comes, the schools usually sell the CGP books at a reduced rate.
scary mum
russet

Post by russet »

The Letts or CPG KS3 revision guides are good. Just building her interest though watching science documentaries on TV will help. Keep a look out for the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. In the long run, the one thing that will matter if she wants to do science is maths. There are a lot of online recourses that will help with this.
However, year 7 is one of the most tiring years. So much is new; fitting in and getting used to all the changes is a challenge in itself. One of the most helpful things for getting this right will be to get plenty of rest and relaxation at home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now