SATs

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SteveDH

Re: SATs

Post by SteveDH »

Guest55 wrote:Even at a Private school KS2 results will impact on them - GCSE 'pass' rates are linked to the ability of the cohort at 11. A weaker cohort cannot have a higher % of [in old money] grade C+ grades.
It still seems amazing to me that if for some reason a cohort performed beyond expectations, marks would be reduced so that expectations were matched, so is there actually any point in improving standards post 11..
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:Even at a Private school KS2 results will impact on them - GCSE 'pass' rates are linked to the ability of the cohort at 11. A weaker cohort cannot have a higher % of [in old money] grade C+ grades.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Guest55 - is it the case that e.g. this year's GCSE 'pass' marks are somehow adjusted by the exam boards to take into account how well 16 year olds did in their SATs 5 years ago, or do you mean that a school can have a fairly good idea how well their new intake is likely to perform in their GCSEs based on their SATs results?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The former - each cohort has been 'measured' several times - KS1, KS2 - and so if they are weaker than the previous years then % good GCSE grades will be decided with that in mind.

This is an external 'check' on exam boards.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Guest55 wrote:The former - each cohort has been 'measured' several times - KS1, KS2 - and so if they are weaker than the previous years then % good GCSE grades will be decided with that in mind.

This is an external 'check' on exam boards.
Does it work the other way for stronger cohorts? So if a child got higher levels at KS2 they are more likely to get good grades at GCSEs?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If it's a 'cohort thing', one would just hope that the attitude that their child 'shouldn't bother about SATS because they are only for the school's benefit, not yours, darling' isn't widespread enough, or acted upon sufficiently by the offspring concerned, for it to have an effect.
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We should all be concerned about RATs....!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:We should all be concerned about RATs....!!
Oh fiddle - this phone is slightly better than the last for 'predictions', but still has its moments! Will edit ...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndards.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an explanation in there of the difference between norm referencing, criterion referencing and the 'similar cohort average' which is the system (think smoke and mirrors!) by which exam boards apparently come up with the grade boundaries. This particular document addresses what happens when a new exam is introduced and talks of the 'ethical imperative' which is meant to protect first and second cohorts from disadvantage.

It is a misunderstanding to think that getting good KS2 results increases the chance of a particular child getting good GCSE results. It has to do with setting grade boundaries for a whole group, not predicting the chance of a single child within that group getting good results.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndards.pdf

There is an explanation in there of the difference between norm referencing, criterion referencing and the 'similar cohort average' which is the system (think smoke and mirrors!) by which exam boards apparently come up with the grade boundaries. This particular document addresses what happens when a new exam is introduced and talks of the 'ethical imperative' which is meant to protect first and second cohorts from disadvantage.

It is a misunderstanding to think that getting good KS2 results increases the chance of a particular child getting good GCSE results. It has to do with setting grade boundaries for a whole group, not predicting the chance of a single child within that group getting good results.
I think that most of us are grasping that (sorry, that is meant to be a factual comment, not a catty one :) ), but possibly some of us may be thinking that it would be poetic justice for the 'don't bother to try, darling, it's for somebody else's benefit, not yours' to suffer more than the ones who are encouraged to try to do their best whatever the task in hand....
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote:
I think that most of us are grasping that (sorry, that is meant to be a factual comment, not a catty one :) ), but possibly some of us may be thinking that it would be poetic justice for the 'don't bother to try, darling, it's for somebody else's benefit, not yours' to suffer more than the ones who are encouraged to try to do their best whatever the task in hand....
Well it's just one more reason to say 'don't bother to try darling it's for someone else's benefit' isn't it? I told my lot that SATs weren't important for them as I saw the stress they were under from school and I fundamentally disagree(d) with high-stakes tests for young children. There is a lot of press this time around about the inadequacy of these tests and the hideous effects early summative testing is having on children so I think any parent would be justified in trying to play them down as much as possible.

And sorry if I insulted your intelligence - a couple of posts up someone asked if good SATs meant better GCSEs, that's all.