NFER tests

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anneste

NFER tests

Post by anneste »

Hi
My son has just started secodary school & we've had a letter home about CAT scores but I have no idea what they are!
He got 112 for VR, 128 for NVR & 141 on the quantiative...what does this mean?

Thanks
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Anneste, I can't help you with this but why don't you post your question on the forum under BEYOND 11 PLUS. It deals with secondary school issues and you may find an answer from somebody there. :)
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes that should help. And also if I were you I would want to ask the school where these scores place him in percentiles nationally, and within the school, what they use the test results for, when he will be tested by this method again etc.
katel

Post by katel »

a quote from the letter that came with daughter's CAT scores - "The Cognitive Ability Test is an battery of tests which provide a set of measures of pupils' ability to use and manipulate abstract and symbolic relationships. The tests are taken in three sections - verbal quantative and non verbal. The scores from the tests are then standardized to give a score of around 100. The national average for these standardized scores for each type of test is 100. These scores are then averaged to give the mean SAS.

To place students in a national context, a pupil with National Perecentile rank of 99 would be in the top 1% in the country."

My daughter had a standardized score and a National Percentile Rank for each test - it if helps, they were 131 and 98, 111 and 77 and 123 and 94.
anneste

Replies

Post by anneste »

Thanks for the responses & I think you're right I will speak to the school. I did speak to them initially & they said the tests were to show potential and any areas of weakness & to illustrate those who needed stretching but I never ascertained what those results meant re percentiles or nationally. So I'll go back.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/educatio ... .asp?css=1

Might give you a clue - do ask the school what they mean!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now