KS3 SATs

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

magwich

KS3 SATS

Post by magwich »

NOOOO!! I am talking about what they achieve at the age of 10 or 11. Of c

ourse they should get the top levels at age 14 at grammar school ( otherwise they should be closed down too!!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But this is a thread about KS3 NC tests ...
zorro

Post by zorro »

Magwich,
Don't they do KS2 SATs @ yor DD's school or did you keep her off school?
magwich

KS3 SATS

Post by magwich »

We kept her at home - other DD is at the grammar she will be attending in september and we know the sats are disregarded there.
zorro

Post by zorro »

weren't the school really cross?
Our primary would have been steaming if I'd done that. My son is going to an independent in Sept where these SAT's are disregarded too as they test internally at the end of Yr 7.
But he really wanted to do the SATs as the whole class had worked hard for them and he wanted to prove to himself that he can get the predicted 3 5's.
He found most of the papers quite easy after the 11plus / selective exams.
Did your DD not want to do them?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

magwich,

You may get a visit from an EWO - this unauthorised absence will be on your child's record -

Why did not not let your child show how much they know - if they are so easy 100% would be a good target.
magwich

KS3 SATS

Post by magwich »

She did not do the sats because she is fed up with exams and tests, having done 2 different 11+ exams this academic year. She has also had formal exams twice each year at school and numerous other tests. She quite enjoyed the VR papers but found the sats and the excruciating endless revision for them very boring indeed. Local EWO knows she is flexi schooling (aka part time) and agrees she is fine.
I would stress that DD is a bright girl but not a genius and that most of her form are similarly bored and fed up with endless exams
zorro

Post by zorro »

What's an EWO?
Is it Educational Welfare Officer? (that's a guess!)
My Ds did 5 different entrance exams but was still really keen and eager to do the SAT's.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

OFF TOPIC
My son is going to an independent and, in the back of my mind, it did occur to me to keep him off during SATs week - but I didn't.
The teachers were so supportive throughout the eleven plus bits and entrance exams (wrote lots of references) that I felt we owed them his presence. I don't mean that in the way that might sound - like his presence was of the utmost importance to them!!! - just that he is one of their possible level 5s and let's face it it is about statistics...I wish I could tell you a story about SATs, statistics and one poorly child at the school I teach at...horrendous!!!
Anyway, he did the tests, found them all right, had headaches all week, and is now enjoying the transition work which he is loving.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

I think the whole SATS subject is a difficult one. We as parents know that they are about the school and statistics, levels etc and alot would say about them wanting to 'look good' and yet there are not many brave enough like Magwich to really prove that that is what you believe. I admire you for that.

Personally I do feel that SATS do have a part to play in our kids education as when we look for schools we do need some way to measure how good or bad they are and the SATS results gives us that info. We also need a way to measure our childrens progress and the SATS do that too. Baring in mind we do get written results.

I do feel our children are over tested and in my experience too much so in primary schools. However maybe if the schools took out the other testing, NFER, CATS etc etc the SATS would not seem so bad.

If I had my way I would rather my kids be taught during the week and then given mini tests at the end of each week or two weeks so to assess whether they have taken in whats has been taught. Furthermore I would as a parent like more communication from the school each week about what has been taught and that way I would know what to expect when it comes to homework and how to help my children if needed.

I believe homework is a grey area, some schools take ot more seriously then others. Some are very good at marking it and giving feedback where some don't bother and if the latter I would question why give it at all.

Well best get off the box now

Mel
:P
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now