Sats affects 12+

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sian brown

Sats affects 12+

Post by sian brown »

Am I right in believing that in order to take the 12+ a minimum requirement is 2 Level 5's at Sats in Yr 6? Is there any way of finding out my child's Sats results prior to the end of term report at the end of term? When does a school find out the results?
Also, does anyone else think that Yr 6 is horrible for child and parent? We have experienced 11+, failure of 11+, appeal, failure of appeal, constant Sats cramming at school and constant Sats homework plus Cats testing at future state school in June. Constant testing!
Yr 7 sees 2nd choice of state school to look forward to, 12+ application (if Sats were good), 12+ tutoring, 12+ test and hopefully a change of school. My poor child!!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I think the so called "12+" varies from area to area, school to school. Have you tried checking what it is for the particular school(s) / LEA you are interested in as I don't think anyone on here can give the right answer to your question.

I think (and others will correct me if I am wrong) that you have a legal right to apply to a selective state school every year, and appeal every year if you don't get in. They can administer whatever test they want each year.

However, I would not have thought that they could specify specific KS2 SATS levels. But, if you do not have strong indications from a variety of measures of your child's performance that they are in whatever the top X% that school requires, then there would not be much point in putting them forward for another failure.

Sorry you have had such a bad year.

Good luck.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Sian, your post really struck a chord with me, our experience has been the same as yours plus one more added stage, appeal for comprehensive school, failed appeal to comprehensive school. Throughout this I have been amazed at the resilience of my daughter - remember whatever happens we have children to be very proud of. I'm sure your child will be prepared to go the extra mile if it means that they end up in the school of their choice.
All the very best
bougalou :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Bucks they do look for two level 5s - the results should be back in school by July 8th but with all the problems of a new firm taking over the marking I would not hold my breath!

You can apply even if you don't get too level 5s but you need strong support from the school your child attends in Y7. You can appeal if the LA say you can't sit the tests - these appeals have a much higher chance of success.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote: You can apply even if you don't get too level 5s but you need strong support from the school your child attends in Y7. You can appeal if the LA say you can't sit the tests - theses appeals have a much higher chance of success.
I know someone (OOC) who missed the deadline for the Bucks 12+ and was told they couldn't sit the exam but would have to wait another year and try for 13+. There does not appear to be any scope for appealing in this situation, though it does seem a bit unfair as the child concerned is not doing well in Y7 at the current school - the standard of his work has plummeted since achieving three good Level 5s last year and parents think a more rigorous academic environment is needed to get him back on course. Unfortunately they didn't find out about 12+ until too late so child must languish for another year and possibly see performance fall even further.
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes if you miss the deadline you do have to wait - this is why we publicise this date on the website.