KS 3 workbooks

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think if a comment could be misinterpreted by a young child then it shouldn't be used. Maybe by 16+ they would get the joke but not all kids have the ability to work out when a teacher is being serious or not.

In my biology class yesterday he tutor told us all to link hands and put a hand on each others head to show how glucose molecules bonded together. I didn't get up at first because I was convinced he was winding us 30-50 year olds up. It was no joke! :shock: :evil: So, if adults don't always undersand sarcasm from reality then teachers shouldn't expect kids to.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Twins mum, I agree that this comment was totally out of order. I don't think perplexed thought it was a joke, just a sarcastic observation. But, watevva, it was wrong and if you feel that it has affected your DC I think you would be justified in making a small fuss.

We have not been advised to get any books, my DD just uses the text books provided by school along with library books and the internet. Am now worrying that I may not be being a sufficiently diligent mummy... :(

T.i.p.s.y wrote:this may be a product of coached kids who don't actually have natural ability. :?
Will you please get off this particular hobby horse Tips? It is really rather insulting and casts aspersions on all grammar school children. How do you know that this is the case?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

teaching children with autism brings a whole new dimension to lessons!!

The example I always think of was from teh speech therapist who told us about the boy who screamed teh place down at his Auntie's wedding because they were going to toast the bride
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It does not cast assumptions on all GS kids,in fact I'm sure I said that I didn't think Twins mums kids were coached and I'm positive that I DIDN'T say that all GS kids were coached - I'm not on my hobby horse because I couldn't care less if someone coaches their child as i doesn't affect me as I'm not even going to entertain this system of coaching! :roll: Why does it bother you so much? :? I've heard lots of people on this site saying how unfair that coached kids get places over naturally bright kids and it seems to be ok for them to say that!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: I've heard lots of people on this site saying how unfair that coached kids get places over naturally bright kids and it seems to be ok for them to say that!
Often sour grapes, I think, and based on school gate gossip. It bothers me so much because you are, yet again and on the basis of hearsay, contributing to the over-coaching myth. I think that this comment, whilst most certainly ill-chosen in a moment of frustration, was not intended seriously. The kind of gossip that you are indulging in encourages parents and children to look around to see 'who shouldn't really be here'. It's not nice and, in my experience, incorrect.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There ARE over -coached children in GS - I know because I have to teach them. It's NO fun for them as they know they are struggling -

In Bucks if your child does not have at least one level 5 I do not think a GS would suit them - and if they're level 3 .....
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Maybe Bucks should ratchet up the difficulty of the 11+ in that case, although I suppose there are so many grammar school places to fill in Bucks that might leave them with a lot of unfilled places. Here in Birmingham, what with the scarcity of GS places and the difficulty of the KE exam, at least, (not so sure about the LA 11+) I doubt there are many children getting in on coaching alone, although the coaching industry is rife here I believe.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have to get 86% + to qualify now ... and places are spare for 12+ entrants.

The problem is too much coaching for the VR - personally I would add NVR to the mix ...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Maybe they'll eventually use one of these computer based tests, or even better - all schools have to give a new IQ test that no one can prepare for during lesson time. Maybe then very disadvantaged children who cannot afford tutors or whose parents wouldn't think of putting them in for a GS place, because of lack of information, may have the option of sending their child to GS. No test is perfect but it may be as close as it gets. :?
Twins mum

Post by Twins mum »

Charlotte67 wrote:
Am now worrying that I may not be being a sufficiently diligent mummy.
I hope I haven't sent you into a panic.

The boys have wonderful History, Geography, French and Science text books. They have also been provided with Roald Dahl's 'Boy' to study for English which is great. Unfortunately they have nothing at all for Maths. They are given sheets to do for homework which do not always have an example.

Thanks Stevew61 and Guest55 for the sound advise on text books. I will be purchasing a few to start of with.

I hope all the year 7's have now settled into a pattern.
My sons are slowly taking more and more responsibility and even popping into the library in lunch breaks and picking up all sorts of reading material. I am quietly very proud of both of them. Just the other day I found 7/8 bits of scrap paper in DS1's diary. He had been revising his french vocab for himself and not even a test. I couldn't believe it!!! :shock:

Thanks
Twins mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now