Losing motivation in Year 9

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Second time round

Losing motivation in Year 9

Post by Second time round »

My daughter has definitely changed her attitude to school work since starting year 9. She is very able but demonstrates a lack an interest in most subjects. She has always hated homework and does it to get it done, rather than for showing anyone what she can do/understanding of the task. She used to ask me for help, eg. testing language vocab, ideas on how to approach something, and now doesn’t ask at all. I know she is growing up (fast) and wants to be left to her own devices and I also know that I can’t provide her with the motivation to put the effort in, and I don’t want to start nagging, but I can see a slippery slope ahead. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this at this stage and how it worked out?!

Rose
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I'm afraid my children are a year or so behind yours so can't speak from experience. What I would say is do you have to sign your child's planner weekly? Is she completing all homework? Does she bring books home for you to have a sneaky peak in to see what grades she's getting?
If all seems Ok on the work front then maybe she is just growing up and wanting to do it all independently which isn't a bad thing.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi There

My son is a year 9 too. So far so good with regard to enthusiasm etc although I do find myself having to ask him more then I used to about how he is doing and what he learning etc. Maybe that is him maturing and also he has been left pretty much to his own devices recently as I have spent alot of this year tutoring my dd for the recent 11+. Having said that I do plan on becoming an interfering mother with him again now as I agree that sometimes they can slip down that slippery slope if left too much on their own and year 9 is an important year what with options etc.

I suspect your dd is bored and that happens. She is probaly alsogoing through those teenage aches and pains. Maybe try and home in on her favorite subjects asking her more about them as I am sure she will be more eager to talk about stuff she really like and then from thier you can lead on to the boring stuff. Does the school give commendations or merits for good homework. This has always worked with spurring my son on. If the school doesnt then maybe you can offer her some reward when she shows she put sthe effort in. A girlie day out, a new bag etc

In year 9 they are still young and there's nothing wrong in a bit of bribery to get them motivated again

Best wishes

Mel
x
[/list]
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maybe start talking about options and GCSEs -
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Maybe drop talking directly about school subject things altogether, but instead provide some fun extra stimulation at home which sneakily fits in or compliments school-related stuff without making it clear that it does.

i.e. if you have time at home, concentrate on some fancy extras yourself and leave what she currently sees as the boring school stuff to school.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »