understanding a year 8 assessment, can you help please?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cindy

understanding a year 8 assessment, can you help please?

Post by cindy »

I tried to interpret my sons year 7 assessment. He told me he could have done better.

I looked closley at the effort grade, he scored 1/2's. His overall performance was a C = expected performance.

In year 8 again, he has all 1/2 for effort, and 1A, 5B's and 7C's for attainment. He scored an overall C for performance = expected performance.

His key satge targets are 6A's and 7C's

I thought as his effort was quite high, he was doing ok, but now do not think this is the case.

I also now know that he is 155 ranking out of 200 or so.

If anyone can advise me I would be most greatful. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What were his KS2 NC levels?

In a GS I would expect KS3 targets to be two levels higher than the KS2 levels in English and Science and two or three levels higher in Maths.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Thank you so much for your reply.

His key stage 2 were all level 5's. I understand that they dont beak it down in to a b or c at this time.

His Key stage 3 Target for the mentiond subjects are;

English 7C

Science 7C

Maths 7A I understand that the highest score is an 8 for this?

I am disappointed that there is not more explaination from the school about how to interpret these results.

I do feel that Christopher takes all the information in, but his results are a reflection of his written work, not what he has learnt.

your opinion would be appreciated

Cindyx
cindy

Post by cindy »

I forgot to mention his attainment and effort for those subjects

English att B eff 1

Science att A eff 1

Maths att C eff 2
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school could be more helpful and say whether he is on track to reach the targets ...

What are the levels based on? Are they are based on class tests or assessment assignments? Does he get extra time in the tests?

If you prefer to continue the discussion by PM then that is fine.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Christopher and I dont know the difference between class test and assessed asignments.

Chirstopher thinks Assessed Asignments.

As you know, he has been diagnosed Aspergers, but does not get any extra time. I dont know if he has to have a statement to get extra time?

I dont mind the public forum, hope it will help someone else too.

Christopher says that he does not do as much revision as he should for some subjects,

He scored high on Science, as it is his great love, he wants to become a scientist.

I did think, right or wrong that the key stage three targets, are what he is on track to get? otherwise, what is the point in giving me this info??

kindest regards

Cindyx
cindy

Post by cindy »

Sorry,

just thought I would add, the reason I found out Christopher ranking
(155 out of 200 or so) was that I mad an enquiry about gifted and talented.

He was on the register for Gifted and Talented at his last school, and I wondered if he could be put on it for this one.

Apparentely, this depends on the cohort. He was, it seems top in his primary, but not in his new grammar.

This is how I came by his ranking.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Targets are usually set in Y7 then schools track levels to see if pupils are going to reach them [and should intervene if they're not!]

By class test I mean a timed written question paper. By assessment I mean it might last over several weeks or be done at home e.g. for History you might be asked to write an essay.

Ask about extra time - you don't need a statement to get it - do you think it would help?

What is the purpose of ranking the children? I have never known a GS do this! If he is 'on track' to get three level 7s I would not worry too much. If you are worried why don't you ask to go in and talk to his tutor?
cindy

Post by cindy »

I think the purpose of ranking was to show the gifted ones.
those are apparetely ranked 1-18 and Christopher was 155.

It seems the test are a mxture of timed and assessed, based on your description.

No doubt the extra time would help in some subjects. It is however unfortunate that the SEN, I dont feel has made it easy for me to approach him for help.

I think Christopher and I shall chat about his progress, and perhaps after
the next assesment I shall approach his turor, maybe/SEN.

Your advice has been fantastic, thank you for spending the time to help us.

God Bless

Cindyx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's an 'unusual' way of picking out the G&T! We nominate in each subject and then have a register - people appearing for three or more subjects are particularly noted. Pupils can be G&T in Maths but nowhere near that in e.g English.

Another point about extra time - quite often children that have additional time sit exams in a smaller room with one or two others and your son may find this helpful.

Always happy to help - don't worry :D