Welsh or Latin

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I would advise Welsh, look at job adverts. How many require Welsh?
I think you need to consider what sort of job your DS will end up applying for though. I'd have thought with his background the sort of job he'll end up going into will be one where the employer will be much more impressed by Latin; Welsh might even put them off!.
Loopy
Freya

Post by Freya »

Jah: LOL yeah, all he would need for Anglesey would be Mae h'in bwrw glaw heddiw ! :shock:
jah

Post by jah »

mummog

Post by mummog »

I go back to Wales regularly to visit my parents and I have been struck in recent years by the resurgence of Welsh and how much pride the young people in particular have in the language. It just so happens that my DS (Year 12) is about to do some work experience on Anglesey and I think that he will need to be much more concerned about the 'gwynt' rather than the 'glaw'.

Mummog x
boltew

Post by boltew »

[quote="Loopyloulou"

I think you need to consider what sort of job your DS will end up applying for though. I'd have thought with his background the sort of job he'll end up going into will be one where the employer will be much more impressed by Latin; Welsh might even put them off!.[/quote]

Welsh is my first language and I have an O level in both Welsh Language and Welsh Literature. For every job interview I've had, being fluent in Welsh has impressed most of my employers - it certainly did not put them off. I have three children and all are Welsh speakers (they have never lived in Wales).

If your son does not enjoy doing Welsh at school, then he will probably dislike doing Latin even more (I did Latin too).
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

As I said, it depends what job you're applying for.

I'm sure Welsh can sometimes be an advantage (Shakespeare, Henry IV Pt I :D) .
Loopy
boltew

Post by boltew »

????
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Mortimer, Act III
Loopy
Milla

Post by Milla »

I've only just found this section down the bottom so am rather late to this linguistic party. I can't even wrap up my answer with the appeasing blanket of claiming a shedload of Welsh rellos but ...
LATIN LATIN LATIN!!
I did it to A level, and Greek to O and, while I complained bitterly at the time, I am SO glad in retrospect that I studied them. I feel that it enhanced no end my grip on my own language and, although long forgotten in the particular, the essence remains as does a proper interest in structure / derivation etc far beyond the remit of the actual course. The downside is that I am haunted by the need to correct English wherever I go now - ablative absolutes a speciality.
(yeah, yeah, am sure this answer is riddled with solecisms. Am cracking on now.)
Freya

Post by Freya »

Many thanks to all who have given their thoughts about this matter!

Well, after many a heated debate with DH over this choice (me preferring Latin, DH preferring Welsh and DS desperate to drop Welsh whatever happened), the school has now decided to discontinue Latin in favour of Spanish!

So . . . another debate ensues: Welsh v Spanish?