lack of progress in maths

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I am wondering how concerned I should be re DS1’s latest mid term maths levels.
He got 5a at the end of year 6 in NC tests.
At end of year 7 he was given a level of 5a
Now mid year 8 he is teacher assessed as being a 6c.
He has been set an end of year target for maths of 7c but I can’t see him making that at this rate.

His effort grade this time is again rated as “excellentâ€
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would be concerned - in a GS I would expect a level 5a to be (roughly) 6a at the end of Y7 and near the top of level 7 by the end of Y8.

Have you spoken to the Maths teacher? Does yourchild feel they are being challenged in Maths? What were the levels based on?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I suggest you ask around for recommended maths tutors. Approach at least two and see how willing they are to asses your DS. Do not suggest you are thinking of having him privately tutored (even if you are) or that you are looking for a crammer. Anyone who loves their subject and has experience will be able to work out his strengths and weaknesses and asses where the sticking point is. They will probable have insight as to the cause of the 'problem' It sounds to me like a confidence/ motivational glitch.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Or it could be that the level in the year 6 tests was a result of primary school intense practice with test techniques which masked a lack of real understanding of some important topic which is now holding him back - it might be something as simple as not really knowing what's going on when you manipulate fractions which could be holding up use of more advanced algebra
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Thanks for the replies.

Guest55 - that's what I feared you would say!

I don't know what the level is based on but presume a mix of class work and tests as that is what we are told their mid year levels are all based on. (the effort grade also inlcudes attitide to homework)

Maybe I should be concerned about the other subjects too as he is not a high level 7 in anything - highest are a 7b in english and history. ???

In a way it was reassuring to know that I should be concerned - and I have summoned the courage to leave a message for his teacher today.

Sassie's Dad - We have thought about going down the tutoring route. I really hope that his teacher can guide us as to what is needed but if not I think the suggestion of having a tutor or two try to analyse where he is struggling may be a good option.

Solimum - re the year 6 Sats - yes I agree it could be that to a certain extent although they never did intensive practice - (DS2 now has the same teacher in year 6 and he has had the same process wherby they do 3 practice tests in year 6; one at the beginning of the year; one around parents evening in Feb and one just before the real thing. In fact his teacher is very anti intensive practice and won't give them more than this).

DS2 is in the "extension group" in maths and he does 2 enrcihment lessons a week away from the the main top set - lots of problem solving / real life problems with maths which he loves. When DS1 was in year 6 we agreed with the teacher that he would be better staying with the main top set to consolidate his KS2 knowledge and I really felt that he was pretty solid in his knowledge when he left primary. Now I am wondering whether maybe this was not the case.

I have left a fairly open message to his teacher - along the lines of we are concerned - is he? What does he think may be the issue /s. What can we do to help......

To be honest I find it hard enough to know what DS1 has done each day as he doesn't exactly communicate much at the moment! at least not with me.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Remember Maths has level 8 so other subjects may well be a level lower ... I will PM another question as I don't want to be accused of advertising!