Yr 7 mid year reports - any point?!!

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tense

Yr 7 mid year reports - any point?!!

Post by tense »

My Yr 7 DD has just come home with her mid-year report. All it is is a list of levels (mysteriously ranging from 3c to 7c) & the effort grades. No comments.

Don't worry, I'm not going to start fretting about how well or not she's done or asking any of you what your children got!

I just wanted to say - that although to me the report might as well be written in Chinese - I know that my DD has settled in really well at secondary school. She is so happy, has made lots of friends, taken up lots of new activities & is in a couple of sports teams. I am more than happy with the effort she puts into her homework. Obviously I want my DD to do well academically, but I also want her to enjoy her school life.

I just wish the report had had a couple of sentences in it from the form tutor to give a more rounded view of my DD. Does anyone else's school do this - or am I hoping for too much?!
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS got his report just before they broke up for Christmas. It was detailed in the extreme!
They have sussed his character amazingly! :shock:
It listed all his effort grades and achievement grades and a lengthy comment from each subject teacher. There was also a report from his House Tutor and Housemistress and a general overview from the Deputy Head.
We were very impressed.
After their exams in January we received a list of marks and grades and have a Y7 Parent's Evening in 2 weeks to discuss all of the above and how their first term has gone.
I do think it is important to know how they are doing from the teacher's point of view and what needs to be improved/ worked on.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS gets a lengthy report including position in class, exam results and effort grades at the end of term. Every three weeks he gets an effort card sent home with absolutely nothing written on it unless he's not doing well. That's plenty of stuff for us! :lol:
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Tense, we got something similar to yours, although it was just before Xmas.

Shown by subject: 1) expected level at Yr9, 2) current level, 3) effort (one word, "good", "excellent", etc) and 4) "ahead", "on", or "behind". There was (a very little) room for comments beside each subject but I think they only put negative things in there.

Seems you have to pay for a decent report these days!
tense

Post by tense »

Charlotte67 wrote:Seems you have to pay for a decent report these days!
I think you're right - I'm quite envious of the reports received in the Zorro & Tipsy households! Secondary school seems so remote compared to primary - just a footnote "settled in well" would have been something!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Reports do vary though. The school I've taken DS2 out of had one sentence per subject written on on scrappy piece of A6 card! :o I don't pay to get a good report but this was not impressive. :x
zorro

Post by zorro »

I have to say that at Primary school we also got very detailed and accurate reports ( and we weren't paying for those :lol: ).
However , as a first report this was very impressive ( and startingly perceptive! :shock: )
It was beautifully presented in a folder with school crest on it - I suppose you do get what you pay for sometimes!!!! :wink: :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tense - was that the full report? many schools give levels/effort grades two/three times a year PLUS a 'proper' written report.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My experience of most of the indie's, except DS2's last school, is three full reports a year and either three or four weekly effort grade cards.
tense

Post by tense »

Guest55 wrote:Tense - was that the full report?
There are two sets of levels - now & expected at the end of Year 7. I'm expecting another report at the end of the summer term - I hope that one will be the more traditional grades AND comments type.