Odd observation about NVR and video games!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Girlsmum

Odd observation about NVR and video games!

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Both daughters are very good (touch wood) and NVR, and over the last few years have spent quite a bit of time on Wii and DS games. Several children in DDs class who also play/played games like the various Mario/Sonic/Rabbids on Wii and Pokemon on DS are also good at NVR, but 3 of the other bright girls in the class who never really enjoyed or played these games well are not as good at NVR, though better at English, as would be expected as they have probably read more over the last couple of years. DDs oldest cousin has a boyfriend at university studying for a Genetics PhD, and he loves looking at the NVR with DD1 AND playing Mario games with her (or anyone else around!)

I wondered if in some way playing has helped with spacial awareness skills, or if they already had these so were more interested in playing the games, or if it's just coincidence?
mitasol

Re: Odd observation about NVR and video games!

Post by mitasol »

Apparently children who play computer games are better at strategic thinking, problem solving and focussing. So likely to develop or improve NVR skills.

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/what-we-offer/tea ... ssroom.cfm
teachers were predominantly positive about what can be learnt or developed as a result of playing computer games. In particular, the majority (85 per cent) of teachers thought that children could develop better motor and cognitive skills from playing games and most (66 per cent) thought children could improve their higher-order thinking skills through playing computer games. Most teachers (74 per cent) also thought that children could improve their ICT skills from the use of computer games. Nearly half (47 per cent) of the respondents, moreover, thought that computer games could be used to increase children’s knowledge in particular areas.
I think it is all a question of the type of games they are playing. The media tend to push the negative aspect of computer games relating to the more extreme and violent games on offer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DS has, as far as I am aware, never used a Wii or a Playstation and has one game on an old DS. His NVR score was over 130 in CATs tests. Not sure if this proves or disproves anything - maybe I should just wonder how high it would have been if only we had a Wii!
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

[quote="Amber"]My DS has, as far as I am aware, never used a Wii or a Playstation and has one game on an old DS. His NVR score was over 130 in CATs tests. Not sure if this proves or disproves anything - maybe I should just wonder how high it would have been if only we had a Wii![/quote]

Thats very good!

Maybe he has a few games consoles stashed in the attic?! I'm sure you've never been there :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

yogkruti wrote:
Maybe he has a few games consoles stashed in the attic?! I'm sure you've never been there :D
I wish! I am engaged in a constant battle to prevent the bedroom ceilings falling in because of the amount of stuff up there. Perhaps DS1 could use his fabulous spatial and reasoning skills to help me fit it all in the bin.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Neither of my eldest boys had home access to these things during their primary years either and both have high NVR scores. The younger of the two does love playing them when he can though and his score was the higher of the two.

I reckon it is a chicken egg scenario and probable that children with these sorts of brian's that gravitate toward this sort of play. The eldest is far more of a reader.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

2Girlsmum wrote:Both daughters are very good (touch wood) and NVR, and over the last few years have spent quite a bit of time on Wii and DS games. Several children in DDs class who also play/played games like the various Mario/Sonic/Rabbids on Wii and Pokemon on DS are also good at NVR, but 3 of the other bright girls in the class who never really enjoyed or played these games well are not as good at NVR, though better at English, as would be expected as they have probably read more over the last couple of years. DDs oldest cousin has a boyfriend at university studying for a Genetics PhD, and he loves looking at the NVR with DD1 AND playing Mario games with her (or anyone else around!)

I wondered if in some way playing has helped with spacial awareness skills, or if they already had these so were more interested in playing the games, or if it's just coincidence?
please could you name the free computer games that improve NVR
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now