What is NVR ? !!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mr Benn

What is NVR ? !!

Post by Mr Benn »

May seem an odd question, but having used the Bond books , all they have is questions about shapes. Is that all NVR is going to be in the test we do (CEM - Alcester ).

Thanks.
chad

Re: What is NVR ? !!

Post by chad »

As far as I can remember it was just shapes and the relationships to other shapes....but it was a while ago since my son took his 11+.... a bit blurry now!!! :oops:
inspired2win

Post by inspired2win »

If you are preparing for a 11 plus exam, you need to do a variety of papers. The bookshop on this site has different papers on non- verbal reasoning.

Also getting some books on how to do NVR will help. They should explain what NVR is all about.
chad

Post by chad »

Found this on the site

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/freque ... stions.php

What is Non-Verbal Reasoning?

Non-verbal reasoning is the testing of a child’s ability to solve problems with a non-language based format, i.e. they will have familiarise themselves with pictures, patterns, shapes and symbols.

There are three main types of non-verbal questions in the 11plus exams, although the wording of each question may differ.
Type One: Similarities

Whether you have to seek the odd one out or one which belongs with a set, you will primarily have to identify any common features amongst the pictograms, patterns or symbols.
Type Two: Sequences

With these question types you will have a set of pictures or patterns etc. with which you have to find the pattern or link, which maybe confirming the repetition of a pattern or identifying the next symbol or completing a grid.
Type Three: Analogies

This is generally a two part question where firstly you have to find the link between a pair of objects and then apply that link to complete a second pair in the exact same way.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

I have heard many different accounts of the Durham NVR style. As far as I can tell, it is not like any you will find in Bond, NFER etc. Durham have their own take on it. There are many references to 3D style questions, where you have to mentally rotate a shape in your mind to match the options available. I have also seen references to hexagonal questions, where a series of joined hexagons are shaded in a range of ways and you have to find the next one.

The good news is that I have also read many comments that indicate that students who are well practiced on the standard NVR questions find the Durham CEM questions reasonable and are not too phased by them. Of course under prepared students are often thrown by them. Best advice is to practice a range of NVR styles and leave it to the child.

Last note, the Warwickshire 11 plus only has approx 37 NVR questions out of a total of approx 200+ questions. Yet NVR has 1/3 of the marks, this means that each NVR question is worth about 3 marks compared to 1 mark for other questions. So each NVR question is disproportionately more significant than the other styles.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Thanks dark. My bairn is really good at the shapes, so Im hopeing she will score well there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now