NFER 11A which pack?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: NFER 11A which pack?

Post by Etienne »

My sincere apologies, pist, for returning to this issue, but I would not want jgballard's last post to go without a response.

Dear jgballard
If in doubt, please "report" the post to us, as we cannot be here 24/7.

Sally-Anne

Well that is what I did ....
- There is an easy way for reporting posts to the Moderators – the red exclamation button on the bottom right-hand corner of every post - but it is then the role of Moderators to decide what action, if any, is appropriate.
I do not think it is then fair for you to say we are being silly with our posts..not very constructive.
- After 6 years on the forum, I think Sally-Anne is well-placed to recognise a genuine threat to test security. The 'silliness', in my view, is in the unwillingness to accept the decision of Moderators and to abide by forum rules.
I am disappointed that some of the replies from the moderators have been somewhat condescending.
- Moderators endeavoured to help you to understand, both on the forum and by PM, that the original poster’s request was legitimate. Unfortunately you seemed unable to accept that.
It seems that one guest has been banned just for airing views...
- The member concerned had received 2 previous warnings within a few weeks about comments made on the forum. The 3rd warning resulted in a temporary ban. You are still freely 'airing your views', aren't you?
the crime seems to be to question things, particularly questioning anything the moderators say...
- If you have read the Forum Rules you will have noted the statement “the Moderators' decision is final”. At the top of this page you will see the statement: "Participation in the forum implies full and unconditional acceptance of all the rules and guidance."
instead of looking out for people abusing the site.
- This forum is very closely moderated precisely because of the stress levels involved in the 11+. If, in the 5 days you have been a member here, you have seen evidence of people abusing the site, please do report the post(s) to us, but allow us to determine what is and isn't 'abuse'.
You can rest assured that we are just parents looking out for our own children and this is really what this site is for.
- We already know what this site is for, and your statement applies equally to the original poster.
Did any of the moderators have children who sat the Tiffin Test on January 6th? If so, I am sure you would understand the stress involved in the process and the feeling of wanting you child who has worked really hard to have an equal chance of getting in.
- Almost every single Moderator is a parent whose child has taken the 11+ since this site was founded in 2004, so we are well aware of the stress involved in any 11+ test.
I would have liked to have seen a bit more empathy from the moderators and not criticism.
- The original poster is also deserving of empathy and not criticism.

As Yoyo has already written "I think you have made your point JGB."

Someone had to take a decision, and that is what the Moderators are for. It's time to move on .....
Etienne
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Yes it is time for all of us to move on....but not without commenting on this- you said quote:

- The original poster is also deserving of empathy and not criticism.

All the original poster got was empathy...it was everyone else that got criticism.

I have to say..this original concern I raised has sparked a debate which is all I could have hoped for. I stand by my original concerns. We should not be sharing any information about the test nor be encouraged to :D

Thank you for your attention to this matter and taking it so seriously..I do feel reassured that you will make sure that no one is in breach of the rules.
Once again..good luck to ALL the children that sat and will sit this test.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

JGBallard wrote:Yes it is time for all of us to move on....but not without .........
I had a feeling there might be a "but" coming ...... :lol:
All the original poster got was empathy
I can't quite see why moderators would criticise the OP if they were satisfied that the post was acceptable :?:
I stand by my original concerns. We should not be sharing any information about the test nor be encouraged to :D
You are entitled to your view even if we don't agree with it - and you haven't been banned for expressing it yet again ..... :)

Much appreciate your concluding remarks, and I do join you in wishing the very best of luck to all children who sat and will be sitting this test.
Etienne
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Thank you Etienne - at least we have a common ground of wishing everyone luck :D
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

pist wrote:I think the penguins are the old Letts edition. Noughts and crosses the new GL edition (am guessing this is what you will get if you order from this site now, I think penguin ones pictured are out of print). But I am new to this, so maybe somebody "older" and wiser can advise.
Hi la boume
pist is correct, the penguins is the old cover. If you haven't already sorted it out, here's a link to the GL/NFER papers:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HTH & good luck with the prep.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Thanks, Chico-mum and Pist
pist

Post by pist »

You're welcome la boume. Just noticed it actually says on the back of the papers (v small print) "previously published as.... :oops:

So - after spending the last 3-4 days here (many chocolate buiscuits later), I have got my plan of action. Somebody suggested starting with a Nfer test just to see how dd gets on (so just did that this morning), then embark on AE How to (but maybe check out Bond's) and then decide what next depending on progress and then finishing w the rest of the Nfers.

So dd did 11b. This is the first time she has done any of this (trying VR tomorrow I think), so did it v informally, I read some of the explanations to her and discussed the examples (didn't hurry) and she then did the questions independently. This took 60 min exactly (incl the explanations and other chit chat) and she scored 75/80. (If I have understood it right the real test (Tiffins) will be 80 questions in 50 mins)

Have I got this right, this seems pretty ok to me for a first attempt (we have a year to go to the real thing) :?:

:) pist
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

If your DD is a whole year away from sitting Tiffin, my advice would be to ease off. Even children who are 'hot-housed' (at least the ones I know) were not doing a paper a day a whole year before the exam.

That level of intensity may overwhelm your DD - not to mention yourself. It is very difficult to to through this as it is, and if you are subjecting yourself to this much worry for a whole year, I would think that you could suffer from nervous exhaustion.

This is not an easy process. Just my opinion, but I would say chill for now - get some books which teach NVR and start with those. Personally I wouldn't do practice tests for many months down the line.
pist

Post by pist »

Gorgeous wrote:If your DD is a whole year away from sitting Tiffin, my advice would be to ease off. Even children who are 'hot-housed' (at least the ones I know) were not doing a paper a day a whole year before the exam.
Don't worry, wasn't going to! Just doing 1 of each to see where we stand and then ease in to it. (DD actually liked doing the paper. This was her first go, so she bought into the idea of "puzzles"- but I dont expect that will last. Chose this weekend as no school homework and no sports, so loads of time.

:wink: pist
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

that sort of low key approach sounds ok to me pist..

Don;t forget things like word games, jigsaws etc, spot the difference

Does she like computer games? There are lots which I think would help the thinking processes for NVR.

The Professor Layton ones are good, lots problems and logical thinking and some PC games ( the hidden object/puzzle games) are very good ..you have to think logically and work through puzzles to progress through the story and the "brain training" type ones are good too.

There is no need or 11+ prep to be scary, I'm a great believer in learning through games and having fun!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now