Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm 

Does anyone use this range of books? My son has been working through them and we are stumped on a question. He's taken it into school and his teacher can't work it out either!

It's lesson 4, part 1, question 4

If anyone has this book, can they help please. Basically there are 4 boxes of pics with 2 letters, and you are supposed to be able to work out the code. But on all 4 pics the code is the same (CH). I wonder if this is an error as it really doesn't make any sense :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm 

sounds like an error to me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am 

Hi Lass,

I have the book you mentioned and didn’t get any trouble with the question 4 in lesson 4, part 1. However, I don’t see the code CH you mentioned.
Lass wrote:
But on all 4 pics the code is the same (CH). I wonder if this is an error as it really doesn't make any sense :?

Are we talking about the same book, written by Peter Williams?

In case we are, here is my explanation to your question:
The letter F at the bottom right refers to the black arrow, while the letter G refers to the white arrow.
The letter N at the top left refers to the two lines across the arrow while the letter D refers to just one line. Therefore, as the last picture is a white arrow with just one line across it, the code is DG which is answer a, as stated in the book.

However, DS and I did get stuck on other questions in this book: :oops:
- Question 1 on page 42
- Question 3 on page 43
Did you understand the answer for these? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm 

Errrr Jane, I think we are talking about the same book - it's certainly same title and author :D - but we dont seem to have the same things printed in it :shock: .

First pic is of a striped arrow pointing upwards, letter C top right and letter H bottom right.
Second pic is of a solid black arrow pointing downwards, letter C top right and letter H bottom right.
Third pic is of a solid black arrow pointing upwards, letter C top right and letter H bottom right.
Fourth pic is of a striped arrow pointing downwards, and this is the one that we need to decipher the code for.

Answer a=CH, b=DG, c=DC, d=CD and e=HG. According to the answers, it's b (DG).

Strange!

Even stranger, our page 42 is blank (its the page behind the answer sheet for lesson 3 part 1) and page 43 is "How did you do - lets find out".

Which lesson / part / questions were you stuck on, and I'll see how we did!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:50 pm 

Jane - just realised you are looking at book 1 (Discover Non Verbal) and we are on book 2 (Develop Non Verbal) - that explains why we have different things printed :lol:

DS got your 2 questions right and has explained to me:

Question 1 is the total number of sides of the shapes in the circle (they add up to 10).

Question 3 they all have a circle, triangle and a quadrilateral shape.

Hope that makes sense but feel free to PM me if you want more details.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 am 

Lass wrote:
DS got your 2 questions right and has explained to me:
Question 1 is the total number of sides of the shapes in the circle (they add up to 10).
Question 3 they all have a circle, triangle and a quadrilateral shape.
Hope that makes sense but feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Hi Lass,

Sorry for not answering earlier; we had an early holiday abroad 8) ... Thanks for your explanation and well done to your DS! :D

Concerning your question in Book 2, I really do think it is a printing mistake. :evil: As there is also a mistake – I suppose- in the book 1, question 2, page 12: to get here the answer d, the little ‘tail’ shouldn’t have been removed during the transformation of shape 1 into shape 2. Do you think like us? :?