GL test 5

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

GL test 5

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi,

In the GL test 5, section 1, we have some problem to understand the answer for question 6.

Does anybody have a clue to get to the answer c? :oops:

We find also question 4 (still section 1) to be rather ambiguous. It is easy to eliminate e and c. But then, why do you choose b ? We don’t really see the criteria to eliminate d and a...It is true that answer b ressemble the middle picure given on the left, but one could argue that answers a and d ressemble the rotation of the shape on the right in the example provided :?:
Stocky

Re: GL test 5

Post by Stocky »

question 6 is really hard to explain in writing its much easier to demonstrate it. But I will give it a go.......I am going to call the shape that isnt a circle a 'C'. The 2 connections on the left are that each set must have atleast 1 circle and any 'C's - the gap on the 'C' points inwards. Cant be 'b' as no circle, cant be 'a' 'd' or 'e' because the gaps in the 2 'C's in all those 3 sets are pointing 'outwards' away from the shapes. Hope that helps - it is easier to show it on the paper.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

question 6 is really hard to explain in writing its much easier to demonstrate it. But I will give it a go.......I am going to call the shape that isnt a circle a 'C'. The 2 connections on the left are that each set must have atleast 1 circle and any 'C's - the gap on the 'C' points inwards. Cant be 'b' as no circle, cant be 'a' 'd' or 'e' because the gaps in the 2 'C's in all those 3 sets are pointing 'outwards' away from the shapes. Hope that helps - it is easier to show it on the paper.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Question 4 - asked my DD who got this right. She said connection 1 - 2 shapes the same (eliminates c and e), connection 2 - initially she thought there cant be a line of symmetry but actually d doesnt have a line of symmetry so it would leave d or b as potential answers, she worked the second connection out to be - if the 2 identical shapes overlap one is a 180 degree rotation of the other, cant be a or d as they are only a 90 degree rotation. leaves b.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Stocky wrote:question 6 is really hard to explain in writing its much easier to demonstrate it. {...} Hope that helps - it is easier to show it on the paper.
Thank you stocky!! :D Your explanation is just brilliant. I could understand it at the first reading !!! Thanks!! :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Stocky wrote:Question 4 - asked my DD who got this right. She said connection 1 - 2 shapes the same (eliminates c and e), connection 2 - initially she thought there cant be a line of symmetry but actually d doesnt have a line of symmetry so it would leave d or b as potential answers, she worked the second connection out to be - if the 2 identical shapes overlap one is a 180 degree rotation of the other, cant be a or d as they are only a 90 degree rotation. leaves b.
waowww! Well done to your DD!! It's crystal clear for us now... Just upset we couldn't get it :cry: Just three weeks left before the 11+ for us. Oh dear! :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now