Counting sides

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
londonmum35

Counting sides

Post by londonmum35 »

I've noticed that when my DD counts sides, eg 3 for triangle, 4 for square, she also counts a circle as 1. Is this correct? It's for GL nvr tests. I know in some strange shapes it's right to count number of curved sides and number of straight sides, but in a case where there are a number of shapes in the diagram, and you are adding up all the sides of all the shapes, should a circle alone be counted as 1?

She's read more 'how to' books than me so not sure if she's read to do this. I've told her I think it's not correct but don't want to give her wrong information, esp as tests are only 5 days away! Looked in the GL 'how to' but they don't mention the sides of a circle specifically.
fatbananas

Re: Counting sides

Post by fatbananas »

I THINK your daughter is correct, but no doubt, someone more mathematically minded than me can confirm.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Many thanks, fatbananas, for the advice, I've told her to go with it then.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I agree with your daughter that a circle is a one-sided figure. I can't recall specific GL questions where this has been part of the required knowledge - but can definitely confirm that it occurs in other NVR tests e.g. UKCat. If I remember correctly it also comes into the KS2 curriculum but I am getting a bit rusty now....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now