Post by Mob »

Please can someone solve these for me . Completely stuck
GL non v pack 2
Paper6
Sec3q#8,9
Sec4q#3,13,14
Sec5q#5,6,12
Sec6q#6,7,9,11
Many thanks as little time left in exams . I really appreciate if some 1 can help
hermanmunster

Re: Nv GL stuck on paper 6

Post by hermanmunster »

I haven't got these papers could you write out a couple of the questions then we can have a look.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

DD had a go at that paper in early June, I've marked it as "she was tired"!

Her score dipped from 90% to 75% but she did complete it in 30 mins, not in timed sections.

Here are some explanations, will do more later if required. :)

Sec 3 Q8

Top line of code R S T S, what do the two Ss have in common? Central pentagon shape points right, so answer shape is a R type.

X Y X Z - Xs = small shape in pentagon is half shaded so test shape is X

RX is answer a.

This is a hard question as lots of unused information, the rotating triangle, the type of shape inside the pentagon, etc. The key is to focus on the two Ss and Xs.

Q9

X Y X Y = Xs not sure :) so move on, Ys the inner shape is the same as the outer shape, so answer is Y

L M N N = Ns three inner shapes, so L=2 M=1, answer is L

YL = answer c
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Sec 4, families, DD found these tough so we did some remedial work. Found the key is to cover the five answers and focus on the two given shapes and find a relationship, then look at the five answer shapes, you might get lucky or else have to use elimination. A big ask in 30 seconds!

Q 3 The outer and innermost shape have the same number of sides so answer b

Q 13 An unusual question! Not one I'd seen before, involves maths! Add up the fractions of the shade shapes 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/4 = 1 1/4 and 1 + 1/4 = 1 1/4. So answer d.

Q 14 Nasty! Started off counting and adding number of sides, 3+4+6=13 and 4+5+6=15 so both odd numbers? Several answers have odd numbers, lots of time wasted counting! The black arrows go from high number to low number so a or c, a has odd number so a?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Sec 5

Q5 The shapes and fill patterns move, so working through step by step and eliminating answers

Triangle top centre moves to bottom right and fill pattern changes, so on test shape semicircle top centre moves to bottom right, eliminates b and d, also the fill pattern always changes so eliminates a and e, leaving answer c.

Q6

Top shape inverts, eliminates c and e. (example is an arch shape, test is a thick black T shape)
Bottom two rectangles add a black fill, eliminates b.
Overall size of shape decreases, eliminates a and e.
Leaves answer d.

Q12

Just looking at that question gives me a headache. But it is a three by three grid with nine squares that change so step by step?

The three grey squares rotate 90 degrees anticlockwise about the centre, rotating the grey squares in the test shape eliminates a c e and leaves b or d.

The white squares change to white circles and reflect along the horizontal centre line :evil: which eliminates d and leaves answer b.
Mob

Post by Mob »

Dear steveW61
Thanks so much , I really appreciate you went to all that trouble to explain them . I am going to go over all of them with my daughter tomorrow :)
Thanks to others who also reply
What would I do without this forum
Mob

Post by Mob »

Dearharmanmunster
I haven't got the scanner , but it's from GL assessment paper 6
Mob

Post by Mob »

So can someone Plz tell the solutions for sec 6 now ? :?
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Section 6

6. No clue!

7. On each of the first three shapes given, the arrow points the opposite way to the curved side, which rules out (a) because it has no curved sides, (c) as the arrows are on the straight sides, (d) because the curved side has two arrows not one, and (e) because the arrow on the left hand side is pointing in to the curved side, so the answer is (b)

9. No clue!

11. It is all to do with the numbers of sides of the shapes, so in the first example the sides of a triangle (3!) are added to sides of a hexagon (6!) equalling 9 - the shapes on the other side of the bracket thing also add up to 9 (a square and a pentagon). This means the answer must be (d) as a square and a pentagon have the same number of sides altogether as a triangle and hexagon added together.
Mob

Post by Mob »

Thanks dotttie for the detailed explanation .. Will be doing these questions with dd soon:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now