Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:56 pm 
My kid is good at Math and English. In fact, scored a level 5 in year 5. However, the NVR is a really big problem. We were going through the 4 mock tests that Bond does (new edition). Couldn't get the score beyond 42 (out of 60) on the tests. Particularly their third paper. My kid has been through the AL tutorial series on NVR. We are also using the Learning together books.
The 11+ NVR is not much of a problem. If we can't get through that is ok.
What I am more worried about is - Is there any other serious problem this is going to pose in the future (academic career)? Is my kid really below average !!!?? The VR seems to be ok...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:54 am 

My children found them difficult at first too.

It is a case of practice and spotting the patterns. Have you tried one of teh How to do VR books. (Look in teh Book Shop section here).

The Interactive CDs are good too, you can work on theh type of question he fonds most difficult. It's just training the brain to work in different ways after all olympic runners although they had potential stillhad to train their bodies to be really good. Focus on teh fun bit and forget teh scores for a while.

Regardless of the 11+ the skills he is learning will be very useful in whatever he decides to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:38 am 

oops

Just realised it was NON verbal reasoning, so the interactive CDs will not be relevant.

The non verbal reasoning type exercises really are a case of practice makes perfect though.