GL Assessment Test 8 Section 1 Question 5

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sweethome

GL Assessment Test 8 Section 1 Question 5

Post by sweethome »

can anyone please tell me why the answer for the above question is C? neither my husband nor myself can explain it to our DD. thanks.
Ladymuck

Re: GL Assessment Test 8 Section 1 Question 5

Post by Ladymuck »

I think that it relates to the shaded areas within each shape. In the other 4 shapes it is possible to draw a vertical line through the shape and on either side of that line the shading is either horizontal or vertical. In shape C it is not possible to draw such a vertical line - you would have to rotate the shape.

How a 10 year old would work that out in 30 seconds though....!
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

If you start with the vertical line filling and go in a clockwise direction through the different parts of the shape, they always follow a pattern

Vertical lines -> Dot -> Horizontal lines

All the choices, except C, follow this rule (C - Vertical lines -> Blank -> Horizontal lines -> Dot)
sweethome

Post by sweethome »

Thanks so much for the help from all of you. When I checked through old postings, I found another explanation. It says that C is the only one without a straight outside line. No matter which method I choose, it will all give answer C. I do find this question difficult and have told my daughter that I don't blame her for not getting this one right. It is a bizarre question in the first place.