Timing

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
herewegoagain

Timing

Post by herewegoagain »

My daughter has NVR test in approx 6 weeks time. She can do the tests (Athey) but for some sections not in the time allocated. Could anyone suggest techniques for helping her to speed up? I've tried showing her exactly how long she has got for each question and she agrees it seems like a long time but then when she does the section she only gets about two thirds of the way through although she does get nearly all of them right. Conversely with codes she does them in half the time and gets 100%! Any thoughts gratefully received!

Post by Guest »

This is probably not particularly helpful but my daughter did NVR last year and it was a case of practice practice practice to gain speed. Does she use the elimination technique where you discount 3 answers straight away and then you are left with deciding between 2 rather than all 5 together.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Agree with practice, practice, practice..
My son had the same problem, so I got the AE publications and Bond 'how to' books, hoping to find tips, but they didn't help him much.
I noticed that when I asked my son to do everything in a set time, his mind was sort of freezing. Instead, I let him work with no specific time pressure, whilst discreetly noting the time, and his speed increased steadily. We didn't do much at once, but about 10mn a day made a lot of difference.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now