GL Assessment Non-verbal reasoning - paper 3 of pack 1

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

GL Assessment Non-verbal reasoning - paper 3 of pack 1

Post by mystery »

Pack 1, paper 3, Section 4 - Find the odd one out

My child finds more than answer sometimes as she sees different reasons why a different one could be the odd one out. Then she does not know which answer to choose and worries that the real exam will be full of questions like this.

For example,

Question 1: the published answer is d because it's the only one with the triangle oriented differently. My daughter says it could be a because that is the only one with two little lines on one side of the triangle - I said that's a printing error - she says how would she know that in the real thing?

Question 9: the published answer is e because it is the only one where the number of black spots does not equal the number of "branches on the tree". My daughter says that it could also be c because this is the only one where the number of branches is not prime ..... I feel this is not as good an answer because she has failed to take into account the number of black spots in each picture when reaching her conclusion but another part of me feels that they should have chosen the numbers differently in the question so that c also has an odd, prime number of branches.

What do you think? Will she get quandaries like this in the real thing?
parent2013

Re: GL Assessment Non-verbal reasoning - paper 3 of pack 1

Post by parent2013 »

I don't have paper right now but there should be only ONE option/logic (number of dots) which should be correct. There shouldn't be a case where there could be another answer based on different (prime number) logic.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Would you mind taking a look please when you get a chance? I'm pretty distracted this week and could be missing a trick.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

I think question 1 must be a printing error, there isn't that on mine. That wouldn't happen in the real thing. I haven't come across an issue with there being more than one answer with this pack. I always say with odd one out - say what you see for each object (a) 3 branches 3 dots (b) 5 branches 5 dots (c) 9 branches 9 dots (d) 3 branches 3 dots (e) 5 branches 6 dots - (e) is clearly the odd one out. Also there is often but not always more than one thing which 'connects' the ones which go together and hence identifies the odd one out. Also sometimes there will be a red herring. If there were no dots DD would be right, so focussing on branches alone would give that answer, but the whole object needs to be considered as that is where the connections will lie.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Mystery my DD found the same problem with some of these questions. In the end I stopped using them. My DD did CEM in Sept and said the NVR was very like Bond, not difficult but very time pressured.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks everyone. We'll be doing the new Kent test in September - but it is still set by GL Assessment so I'm assuming that these 8 GL papers are the closest to the NVR that is likely to turn up. Bond NVR is pretty similar to GL Assessment NVR is it?

The GL familiarisation papers give a timing of 30 seconds per question for NVR. Maybe we'll try and shave some time off closer to the time in case they go for a faster pace like CEM. Just off to look up the timing that people think that CEM gives for NVR questions.

Found this: Bexley c e m practice paper this year
Comp 52s missing words 38s. Matching words 15 s. nvr 24 s. numerical a 52s numerical b 45s

I am not sure if this is typical c e m timing or not.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I don't know if this is a common view, but I think the GL NVR is harder than Bond. It's more detailed, it seems to me. DS did GL paper 1, pack 1 this evening and got half marks; did it in the time. I think if he'd gone a bit slower, he might've got more right. Perhaps I should encourage that and then build up speed as he gets better at them? :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Paper 1 is apparently the pits.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

We are not CEM but GL pack 2 is notoriously harder, there's lots of threads. My dc's said pack 1 was similar standard to our test.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Who sets your test in which area Stocky?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now