Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hasmum

Gl pack2 NVR Test 8

Post by hasmum »

Hi
Have read the numerous posts on this pack, it is def. harder than pack 1. My ds
did better in pack 1 in 35-40 mins. Pack 2, 65/72, 62/72, 53/72, 53/72 this time I timed each section which he found harder, but that is what will happen in the real exam.

I do worry about the timing as he needs to speed up, and tends to guess when running out of time. I am dreading the NVR, thank god he is much better with VR.

Can anyone help; We could not work out

Test 8 Section 1 no. 5 (answer is c the only thing we could think was, others are irregular shapes) is this correct?

no. 10 (answer is E , is it because others include triangle and circle and this one doesn't?)

Can anyone help to clarify above. Thanks in advance
Spatel2

Re: Gl pack2 NVR Test 8

Post by Spatel2 »

Son did paper 5 NVR todaygot 83% if I had been strict then he would have only got 75% - NVR use to be his second best subject but its his weakest now!

I think 80% in these papers are good going.

Last year, he scored 126 in his NVR CAT score, which is top 6% - this years CAT scores are due to be released any day soon.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Question 10 - c doesn't include a triangle. i didnt get this, so asked my DD who got it right when she did it (and yes definitely a harder pack!!). She said she picked 'e' because the others have atleast 2 'white bits' where the smaller shapes overlap the circle (or atleast 2 black bits outside the circle)- 'e' has only one white overlap inside and 2 black outside). Sorry probably not explained it well!
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

asked her re Q.5 and she said she picked 'c' as the outer shape on the others have atleast 1 straight line and c doesn't.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Thanks for reply, will have another look today, I hate it when I cannot understand something but will persevere until I do, I wish my ds had the same attitude, he loves VR and does better. Hopefully we will crack it. The answers on this pack I find are not obvious at all.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
Just had a look Q 5 to me a, b, c, dont have straight lines on outer shape.
The only other thing I can see is all the other shapes other than circle (c) have two reflecting parts ???

Q 10 e is the only one with 2 black overlapping bits inside, others have 1 or less, I think you were probably saying this probably typo above.
Will ask Alex moderator if this is correct.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Sorry yes - typo!! Was late :D. As soon as DD showed me why she went for 'e' on Q.10 I could see it, but Q.5 -no not obvious to me that one. Will keep an eye on Alex's reply as whilst DD has passed and NVR is her best subject, DS sits Sep 2012 and NVR is his weakest :(
Alex

Post by Alex »

Apologies from Alex everyone - I have lent out my copy of this pack and can't assist at the moment. Will have a look when I get the papers back, but have to add that although I moderate this section I am not an expert on NVR in the same way that the moderators on VR are experts.

I do think that some of the questions in Pack 2 are obscure and can only try to reassure people that from what I have seen of the real tests in my own county and from what other people have told me, the questions in the "real thing" may sometimes be difficult but are not ambiguous or obscure......
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Hi Alex,
Please look into these 3 questions (5, 8 & 10) from Test 8 section 1 and shed some light.

Thank you very much.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Q.8 from NVR test 8 section 1 is c because, the second object in the other 4 is a 180 degree rotation of the first object, object c is a mirror image.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now