Very difficult NVR question - Help, please!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apprentice

Very difficult NVR question - Help, please!

Post by apprentice »

Someone, please enlighten us. Pretty pleeeeease? :oops:

Sally-Anne

Re: Very difficult NVR question - Help, please!

Post by Sally-Anne »

A completely random guess on my part, and I'm not that hot on NVR, but if the pattern of the second of each pair of letters is YXZ, the last pair must end in X, and therefore the only possible answer is (a) BX.

It may be a lot more fiendish than that, but on the other hand, it could actually be that simple and the whole thing is designed to slow the child down and confuse them.

Is the answer given at all?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

About to go out, but at first glance.

Maybe the number of empty boxes relates to x,y,z, so Y means there's only one. So I'd guess one of the Y answers.

They all have a square with horizontal stripes, so either the position is relevant or that is completely irrelevant. Judging by the same position of the second and fourth, I'd say not relevant. So you can ignore that bit.

I've just asked DD, who was always very good at NVR, and she has no clue either.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

The only repeated letter is Y so I would say it represents one white square. Therefore I would go for one of the answers with a Y.

That one white rotates around the corners so in the first it is A in the answer it would be B corner.

Inwould go with BY?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I think BY

Firstly look for any code letters that are repeated and look to see what is the same. It is the number of white squares. So one of the letters is Y, this leaves only BY or DY as possible answers. Look at the mystery diagram and try to match it with either B or D. Nothing seems to match up with D but B does as they both have a white box in the same position, which (if you look at all the other diagrams the white box rotates clockwise from A through to D). So this theory makes sense.
Quite a tricky one as you are initially fooled into thinking it relates to the patterned squares.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you, everyone for your help! :) The answer sheet says the correct answer is BY.
Tolstoy and frangipani, you amazed me!!! :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

No problem we are a family of NVRers. DS3 also got it fairly quickly.

VR :roll: now that's a whole different ball game :(
salsa

Post by salsa »

Is this one of those to ignore and move to the next one? Both my boys and husband are very good at NVR and took a while to work it out. During exam conditions I would have advised them to move on!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now