NVR Code question - Help needed!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apprentice

NVR Code question - Help needed!

Post by apprentice »

Once again, I need to pick your brains, NVR experts. Many thanks in advance!!!
hermanmunster

Re: NVR Code question - Help needed!

Post by hermanmunster »

Well I would go for RXC (b)

Only because A=1 spot on top B=2 spots on top and D=4 spots on top - so with three spots the last one must be C

:? Having said that, don't take too much notice of me, I suspect there is much more to look at.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

I think it is A - PYC
C is 3rd in alphabet, 3 dots on the top - follows for the other cubes
PY for the pattern on the left of the side facing us.

Could of course be completely wrong
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well I'd be looking for similarities beteen what's already there. So between RZD and RXA the common factor is the R and between the cubes the common factor is black square, so R = black square. As the cube in question has no black square I would dismiss anything with a sequence starting R, so we can discount answers B and D ( RXC, RZA).

From there on in I'd be looking what other similaritues I could find and also the sequence of dots on the top. The only one left with a C (for the number of dots) is PYC, so it must be that.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I choose QYA

Only took a few seconds to realise that the only letters the same when comparing the codes are the R's.

What is the same in the symbols for the R's but not the P? Literally all I could see was the small squares are black for the R's and Hatched for P. The mystery shape does not match any of these as it is shaded so all options beginning with R or P are ruled out which only leaves QYA.

Hope it's correct :D

Sorry it took a while to reply to your message apprentice, I've only just had time to look at it today.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I chose QYA as well for the same reason frangipani suggested but the answer sheet says it's PYC. To elaborate, I reasoned that the first letter means the colour of the square, the second letter the diagonal lines, and the last letter the location of the square.

The problem I have with PYC is, if R means black square what does P mean?

Many thanks in advance!

apprentice
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Ok it looks like the PY, RX, RZ Relates to the positioning of the triangles and the A, B,C relates to the dots as previously stated.
Tricky one that, designed to throw you off. I can see the logic in it now and makes more sense, as QYA seemed too easy like something was missing.

I suppose the lesson to learn from this is that if you have time, check to see if your chosen code makes sense when looking at all parts of the code. But considering the short amount of time in a real test that may waste too much time, so make sure your DC knows to guess and move on when necessary. Although the problem with this particular question is that it is ambiguous because there is more than one answer that makes logical sense.
I doubt you will have a question like this in the real test as they are usually rigorously checked for ambiguity.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you, frangipani!