Cat tests covering non VR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tense

Cat tests covering non VR

Post by tense »

My DD passed her 11+ which included VR & maths. She now has to go to her new school next month to sit CAT tests for streaming. We have been told these will include non VR.

Now I really am not going to make her revise or anything honest!! But she has asked me what this part of the test will involve & I don't really know. There doesn't seem to be much info about non VR and I don't want to buy any books. Does anyone know of a sample paper or something I could download just so we can see what it might cover?

Many thanks,

T
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Tense,

Can not post links here have sent you a PM.

Try a web search for non verbal reasoning free, that brings up a few. :)

Treat them as puzzles and they can be fun. :D

stevew61
loulou

Post by loulou »

bonds website have sample papers which will help give an idea of possible material. Google Bond non verbal reasoning to come up with the goods.
katel

Post by katel »

but PLEASE don't "revise" - the year 7 CATS test provides a base line that the school uses for setting and got target setting - and it's really important that these are based on an accurate picture of where the child is at that moment. Too much practice might end up with you dd having targets at are too hard for her - there is nothing more dispiriting or discouraging than that!
tense

Post by tense »

Don't worry Katel I won't!

I'm worried enough about how my DD will feel when she starts secondary school - she will go from being top of her class in everything every year to just being one of many many bright kids.

Good for her overall of course but a bit of a shock to start with ... I guess that's another topic! :wink:
katel

Post by katel »

My dd certainly found that a shock - but a nice one. She says it's good being somewhere where there isn't a maasive difference between the top and bottom sets. She says it's very nice being in the middle - she isn't devastated by the occasional less good mark, and she's delighted when she gets the occasional excellent one.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now