NON-VERBAL REASONING IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH AND HAIR!!

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ANDREW THE POET

NON-VERBAL REASONING IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH AND HAIR!!

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Hello to all you very helpful folk,
I'm wondering whether anyone can assist my son and I with a couple of questions which are driving us mad. The questions relate to the elevenplus exams downloadable from this site. Sorry to be so specific, we just think that we're missing a trick here as we've managed to get so many wrong. In particular, on practice paper 3 (there are only 3 NVR to download - the others are published by MW) we are at a loss in PART 4. We managed to get no 5, 7, 11 & 12 wrong - a personal record. However, even with the answers we're unable to follow the paper's logic! So, any help would be warmly welcomed.
I'm guessing these are a bit harder than the NFER variety - we're hoping so, anyway!!??
Many thanks in anticipation.
Andrew
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Andrew,

I found these E-papers harder than the NFER as well, so don't despair.
I haven't got the papers anymore so can't help with the questions.
You could try to contact ElevenPlusExams as they are the publishers.

Best of luck
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Hi ATP/Catherine,

We did these papers last year. I saved a copy for my other son next year.

I have been prompted to look at these again on seeing your posting. I think that the answers can all be explained, though I may not be right. For example:

Part 4 Q5 - Both the two example shapes have number of sides adding to 12, Option A is the only set also adding to 12.

Part 4 Q7 - Both pairs of shapes are pointing in 'opposite directions', one with horizontal lines and one with vertical lines, Option C meets that criteria.

Part 4 Q11 - Both the two example shapes have number of sides adding to 11 plus note the transparency of one of the shapes, thus Option C only.

Part 4 Q12 - 2 pairs of identical shapes with bottom left hand side shape being dotted. So only option D meets the criteria.

Best of luck to your children.

QED
ANDREW THE POET

thank you

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

A HUGE THANKS for taking the time to reply to this. I've copied off your reply so we can sit in the back garden and try and work these through. Thanks, too, for the assurances regarding the difficulty of these relative to NFER. I find IPS quite hard too!! Mind you, the whole NV thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Think it's my age! Fortunately, my son usually seems get the picture!
Thank you again!
Andrew

Post by Guest »

Funny, we were doing the exact same paper today. Took us ages to realise that Q5 part 4 was as simple as adding up the sides - we have found that often when we have got things wrong it was because we overlooked the "easy" answer and were looking for something more complex.

Sara
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now