How to introduce NVR to child who has never seen them before

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

naxa

How to introduce NVR to child who has never seen them before

Post by naxa »

Hi,
Looking for some advice on how to start my son, age 9 (year 5) off on NVR.
He is more inclined towards verbal reasoning and english, so I'm not sure whether to start him off on much younger books e.g. Bond Level 2 for 8 - 9 year olds, or to start at books for his age Bond Level 3 (9 - 10) but to start very slowly.
Any advice or other tips much appreciated! Thanks
stevew61

Re: How to introduce NVR to child who has never seen them be

Post by stevew61 »

naxa wrote:Hi,
Looking for some advice on how to start my son, age 9 (year 5) off on NVR.
He is more inclined towards verbal reasoning and english, so I'm not sure whether to start him off on much younger books e.g. Bond Level 2 for 8 - 9 year olds, or to start at books for his age Bond Level 3 (9 - 10) but to start very slowly.
Any advice or other tips much appreciated! Thanks
Naxa, I have used Bond books with DS1 and am just starting with DS2.

If you have the time start with the younger book it will build confidence, if it is too easy you can skip bits out. I have more time than you, DS2 has just started in year 4.

We read through the book together and do the questions together, I always let him answer first, if he is correct I ask him to explain his answer, if not try again please. At the end of each section I look at the answers and ask him to go through the questions on his own telling me a,b,c,d,e to which I can reply well done or try again. This helps to reinforce the technique learnt. Finally, a couple of weeks later, I photocopy each section and ask him to work through the set of twelve or so questions on his own. I am starting very slowly and keeping it short and fun, we call them picture puzzles.

I am working on technique first then increasing difficulty and finally will look at whole papers to test speed and stamina.

This approach works for us, you will need to modify and amend to your circumstances.

Teaching NVR is a strange thing. DS1, once he had mastered the techniques was twice as fast as me and scored more highly, but we did have tears and tantrums on the way. I found NVR was severely affected by mood and lack of sleep. Some days we had to walk away from NVR.

steve
naxa

Post by naxa »

thanks Steve, I think I'll take your advice and get the younger Bond book.
I've been looking through some of the online materials and wracking my brains on how to "teach" NVR, so your comments about it being a bit strange and affected by mood and tiredness are very helpful.
I can see some tears heading our way, my son hates it when he feels he doesn't "get it" so I guess starting slowly without pressure is the best way.
Any other tips etc appreciated!